Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Powering up UFH thermostat using 3 pin plug in nearby socket in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. samsg30

samsg30 EF Member

I am planning to put underfloor electric heating in one of the rooms with total power of 1100 watt.

Can I power up the thermostat and UFH (via thermostat) using the simple 13A plug in the socket? Of course I can hide wires using conduit or push it behind the plaster board.
    Wondering that would be relatively straight forward than spur from behind the socket and adding a double pole switch in the circuit.

The ring circuit has RCD attached to it in the consumer unit already. In case of any fault, I can unplug it (just like an appliance).

Is there any issue following this approach?

2. camerabloke

camerabloke Electrician's Arms

Use a Switched fused spur

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

It has all the hallmarks of bob the builder or Dave the DIYer doing a right bodge........................ especially the bit about pushing cables behind plasterboard ...........

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. samsg30

samsg30 EF Member

What's wrong with running cable behind the plaster boards?? All new houses have network of cables running behind the board without any conduit and they pass through regulations as well.

5. samsg30

samsg30 EF Member

Is 3 pin plug definitely no go? I just wanted to avoid the hassle of adding another box in the wall

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

That depends on how and where they are run in safe zones ........

How are you going to access behind the plasterboard?

7. samsg30

samsg30 EF Member

My plan is to add a small hole at the base of floor from where UFH cable and sensor cable can come out and another hole few feet above where thermostat will go. But to make it clean, I believe I rather put a FCU in-between instead of using 3 pin. That will make cable fishing easy and cleaner job.
    TBH, it is much less hassle of putting FCU than putting UFH mat at the first place.

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    What?

9. camerabloke

camerabloke Electrician's Arms

Come off the socket he’s plugging into with the dodgy plug in method into a SFS

10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    OKyyy