Discuss Powerline adapters across junction boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I found this thread whilst searching the internet for solutions to my problem:

Network Powerline Adapters with Dual Split Consumer Unit - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/network-powerline-adapters-with-dual-split-consumer-unit.136153/

I read more of the forum and saw it was the "UK's friendliest", so I quickly signed up and now sit here humbly hoping that some kind soul might share their knowledge and expertise with me. I know Christmas has passed, but it is only 336 days until the next one :)

I have two TP LINK AV1000 powerline adapters, and I want to connect them between buildings A and C.

I can get connections:
A to A
A to B
B to C
B to D
C to D

But I cannot connect from A to C.

powerline - Copy.JPG

Three phases come in to A. One phase goes to B. I have tried every socket in A to make sure I have covered sockets which are on the same phase as that which goes to B.

It depends on the make I have used some in my flat that came from Bt and by chance the guy upstairs also had some and his sky box connected via my broadband over the power, we are both on phase 2 on the building supply.
why not just use a router designed for external use as it will have much greater range than a normal one and also provides better security with the encryption as if you are using powerline adaptors then all it takes is somebody to plug one in on a socket and they can access the network.
A lot of civil service sites have banned them for that reason as I am reliably informed by those in the know that a hacker went up to an external socket and then plugged a powerline adaptor with wifi functionality, it then gave them access to the network to probe and hack. all from the safety of the car across the road. apparently the same group were connecting them to lights too via a junction box.

Thanks Gavin.
I had considered a higher range wireless access point outside. The signal would definitely reach the cameras and outbuildings, but I was concerned about whether devices have the power to beam back to the wireless access point.
Although the network security isn't an issue for me, it was very interesting to read, and easy to understand why they have been banned.

Just get rid of them and do it properly with CAT5 cable. They are horrible things that cause interference to other users of the RF spectrum. Don't know why they have not been banned.
Mains wiring is not designed to carry data, as it is not balanced, screened, matched or correctly terminated.

Just get rid of them and do it properly with CAT5 cable. They are horrible things that cause interference to other users of the RF spectrum. Don't know why they have not been banned.
Mains wiring is not designed to carry data, as it is not balanced, screened, matched or correctly terminated.

Thanks for your reply.

I would love to lay ethernet cable. However we get severe frost heave here, so it would need a digger to make a trench deep enough, below the frost line. There is also a split-level on the route needed, which would involve trenching in to a 2m high "cliff". Finally, it's winter here and I want to get the connection done before May (when the land has defrosted :) ).

I should add that I live in a rural location (you would call it "remote" by UK standards). If I use a directional higher powered wifi access point, the next house in that direction is about 1 km away, behind a forest.

You could also say BT copper wires for telephone speech weren't designed to carry multi megabit data, but because of technological developments they do it very well.

Also I believe either the National Grid or network operators have sent signals over high voltage wiring in the past.

You could also say BT copper wires for telephone speech weren't designed to carry multi megabit data, but because of technological developments they do it very well.

But Open Reach copper wires are both terminated and balanced which minimises interference.

Also I believe either the National Grid or network operators have sent signals over high voltage wiring in the past.

They have, usually a single frequency.

Somewhat different from the wideband hash (2 to 30Mhz, at times even into the VHF range on newer units) that home PLTs use.

No, but you see my point - just because something wasn't designed to do a certain task doesn't mean it can't actually do it.

Many devices can cause RFI, not just powerline adapters. Don't forget the cheaper products (eg lower end imported ebay crap) may well not comply with the EMC regulations.

Maybe twist the T+E as it's installed to mimic phone/cat cable, it may also help with data signals and as a bonus will heat the house ;o))))))

Many devices can cause RFI, not just powerline adapters. Don't forget the cheaper products (eg lower end imported ebay crap) may well not comply with the EMC regulations.

Again I agree. But all those items can and should be surpressed, a capacitor and inductor here and there. But you cannot surpress PLT as it would no longer work. Basically it is bad technology that ought to be banned.

On the good side, at least all those people with metal conduit wiring installations will be OK.

Reply to Powerline adapters across junction boxes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net