Discuss Powerline networking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dru

I want to use powerline networking to replace my wireless network.

Does anyone know if they use just the neutral to send the signal?

I have a an office in my garden that is fed from its own 40A breaker but to get Internet I have to use the wireless router that's setup in the house to receive a signal. If I opt to plug the powerline networking device into my ring main in my house will I be able to pick the signal up in my office or does it have to be the same circuit that plug into.

i can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Even if it uses both phase and neutral they are both common at the board as long as the circuit doesn't trip and the breaker stays open, thus surely sending the signal round all circuits on the board

any ideas?

They work great - you can also get ones that act as a wireless access point for about £50 if you don't want to be mucking about plugging a network cable in.

Stu

Just get a router and run an Ethernet to your office to the router from your modem/current router. Of course you will have to use according conduit for it to be outside, depending on whether its underground or above. At least that's what I've done to my shed...

Bottom of Mansfield Road just up from the Peacock. Little shop called Compu-Tec.

I'm using two power line units. One along side the router in one room and the other with a 16 way hub in my bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Powerline networking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am wiring a garden room which will be a home office, customer wants wired ethernet points and wifi down there from the house router Its too far...
Replies
Views
Legends, need some advice. I am a 12v automotive electrician, but have had a side project building a concession trailer for my dad. We have an...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m after a bit of advice regarding wifi/secondary router. Data is not a strong point of mine so any advice would be very much...
Replies
Views
Hi all Now being upfront I am not a sparks. I am about to have some work done by a friend (certified) and as he is doing me a favour I want to as...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock