Discuss Powerline - slloooowww in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Peter Cashen

Hi All,

I've posted in the relevant IT techy forums... I'm one myself, but got no answers.

Basically just moved into a new build (no Ethernet wiring unfortunately), but was going to use powerline adapters.

In my old house they worked fine and I'd get 150mb/s or more, but in this house they wont go over 70mb/s, so thinking that it must be to do with the electrics or RCD things.. I know nothing about electrics. Is this a known issue? Anything I can do/try?

Hi Peter and welcome to the Forum !
The starting place for me would be - what speed has BT (?) provided to my house? There should be a service test point - unplug any house wiring, measure from there and report back :)
Edit : as it may only be 70Mbps (you lucky person ...)

Is this a local LAN / ethernet? I'd start by getting the earthing tested and check for a neutral-earth voltage that shouldn't be there.

"Is this a local LAN / ethernet? I'd start by getting the earthing tested and check for a neutral-earth voltage that shouldn't be there."

Ok, this is what I was hoping for... I've no idea what this means... I'm an IT guy, and I've exhausted my IT technicalities! So it must be electrical...

How would I test this?

I'm presuming this is transfer speeds as you stated 150 mb/s.

I would try to narrow down, so try both adapters on the same circuit close together first. I.e same room as your router.

Hi,

So far I've literally had the two adapters in the same double socket with the laptop and router next to one another... no difference, still only around 30% of the expected speed.

I've also turned everything else off in the house to prevent interference/noise - no difference.

This is why I think its to do with the core wiring/electrical system.

I'd be running some data cable out.
I have tried a few different plug in adapters and they all start out good but all have dipped in speeds over time and eventually given up.

If you have them in the same double socket it's not the wiring.

Reset both back to factory, check firmware, try a hammer.

Same router?

Try a different Ethernet cable?

If they are in the same socket, does that mean that everything is done within that socket and nothing goes near the RCDs or fusebox thing??

Both have been reset. Even tried a different pair and same issue.

Tried multiple cables.

I've ruled out router - definitely either plugs or core electrics.

Hammer isn't far off.

I'd be running some data cable out.
I have tried a few different plug in adapters and they all start out good but all have dipped in speeds over time and eventually given up.

In my old house definitely.

In this new 3 month old house - the wife would kill me. Ha.

@Andy78 I've had good success, I wired a garage 120m away from the residence, it synced fast enough to browse/ YouTube etc.

I use them at home extensively as all my walls are solid so wifi drops out very quickly.

Hi.. sorry, missed that out.

Its Virgin... if I connect directly to the router then I get 225mb/s! I'm on the fastest BB.
225 megs a second....Jesus.... are you serious? I don't think our national backbone network runs at that speed. I just upgraded to 2 meg ADSL at home and that took some pulling of strings.

If they are in the same socket, does that mean that everything is done within that socket and nothing goes near the RCDs or fusebox thing??

Both have been reset. Even tried a different pair and same issue.

Tried multiple cables.

I've ruled out router - definitely either plugs or core electrics.

Hammer isn't far off.

Unless you have serious noise on the line then yes I would say it rules out the fixed wiring.

What adapters are they?

The tests on the earthing and neutral-earth voltage is something you'd have to get a sparky in for, you need special test equipment as well as the obvious hazards of having to make live tests on the incoming supply.

225 megs a second....Jesus.... are you serious? I don't think our national backbone network runs at that speed. I just upgraded to 2 meg ADSL at home and that took some pulling of strings.

Think he's talking transfer speed.

EDIT: shit the bed, that's quick. I'm connected to the www by wet string.

@Andy78 I've had good success, I wired a garage 120m away from the residence, it synced fast enough to browse/ YouTube etc.

I use them at home extensively as all my walls are solid so wifi drops out very quickly.

I too have had good success with them. I have also had frantic rages when they decide to go ---- up. I'm currently using a bit of CatVe I have clipped up the stairs and to all the doorframes and skirting boards after I walloped the adapters into submission. :mad:

Reply to Powerline - slloooowww in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock