Discuss Pre Am2 is it worth it?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am due to undertake my AM2 in the new year but am wondering if it's worth doing the PRE AM2 course before hand? I was advised to jump on it but I just thought it was a sales tactic.

Really like to know if anyone has done it and if it's worth it

Hi All,

I am due to undertake my AM2 in the new year but am wondering if it's worth doing the PRE AM2 course before hand? I was advised to jump on it but I just thought it was a sales tactic.

Hello there, it is worth every penny. They talk you through everything you will be doing on the day and give you tips on how to pick up extra marks as well as preferences with the job they have. For example, with the SWA you might have to use a piranha nut instead of a banjo bolt.

I only did the 1 day pre AM2, but I believe they offer a 2 day pre AM2.
I'm not sure what they do on the 2 day pre AM2.

It depends on how confident are you on tools, and how 'wide' was your exposure at work; how varied your work is, do you run your own projects, do you test a lot etc.

It goes like this.

If you feel uncertain even slightly about any section of the exam then go for the pre AM2 day straight up. You will get familiar with the environment, test assessor etc., it will definitely boost your confidence and help you in the long run.

Otherwise I wouldn't bother! Go with full speed head on at it Andy tickle it ruthlessly. At the end of the day it's like any other day at the office but with the stopwatch in the corner.

Personally I found pre AM2 helpful when I took it a few years back. They tell you what to expect on the day and it will most likely be taken by the person inspecting your work, they will give you a nudge in the right direction so you know what they are looking at and for.

I had my firm pay for it at the time but if they refused to pay I would have paid for it and still come away happy that I did it.

I found the pre AM2 very useful, I only took the single day as I was confident on the practical side but unsure on how to fill out a couple of points on the EIC. They also pointed out how to gain easy marks on the EIC (by writing out calculations on the back of it etc) that you wouldn't necessarily do had it not been pointed out to you!

Was also good to get familiar with your surroundings and know where to go on the day.

Good luck!

Hi All,

I highly recommend the PRE AM2 course, I did mine back in November and it answered a lot of questions I had in regards of the AM2 assessment!

Reply to Pre Am2 is it worth it?? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net