Discuss Preparing ceiling rose for plastering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shpark

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently doing some domestic work for a relative. I’m fitting the light first in a plasterboard ceiling. The ceiling is a mess though due to it having down lights in it originally, so it needs the holes filling and then skimming. How do I leave the cables so that the lighting ceiling rose can be fitted post plastering?

Cheers

Connect the probes of your test meter to the plasterers gentlemans area, each time he goes near your cables IR 250 VDC to start with and increase the voltage each time, he'll soon get the message.

Hi - if you are changing from multiple downlights to a single central pendant light than there will need to be a bit of tidying up (and making safe) of the existing cables too.
Edit - beaten by M

You can't allow for it unless someone is managing the project. Had kitchen /dining refurb lived in. Did kitchen as normal, temp cooking facility in dining area. Asked repeatedly when walls/floor area would be clear to get pwr & rose so could pop back to isolate/drop/modify as required. Did not hear a thing then went back to modify"(again) " a circuit in the kitchen. Dining area now de artex Ed & fully reskimmed, all electrics left in situ & plastered around/up/over. There were still additional sockets to fit & a decorative light fitment with a base plate undersized to the old pendant. Guess who's work looks ----? When I asked why i didn't get a call to do my stuff I was told, "oh, he turned up Friday evening & wanted to do it over the weekend. Thought it would be OK? What can you do about the gaps? We don't want them??"
Thoughts?

I am currently doing some domestic work for a relative. I’m fitting the light first in a plasterboard ceiling. The ceiling is a mess though due to it having down lights in it originally, so it needs the holes filling and then skimming. How do I leave the cables so that the lighting ceiling rose can be fitted post plastering?

Depends whether the room needs a ceiling light in the meantime, or not. If not, you could just put the cable(s) for the ceiling light in a Wago m/f box, dangling below the ceiling.

Whatever you do, you want to avoid a ceiling rose plastered in, so that the cover won't fit. And you can't always trust the plasterer not to do that, if you've screwed a rose to the plasterboard or joist.

There was a central jb in the ceiling connecting all the dl together, so I bust a hole below the jb and discontented all the wiring, so I could pull the lights out. All that’s hanging now is the feed down to a jb waiting to taking it down to a switch and wire it into the ceiling rose after the plaster has been patched up.

Must be the first question I've seen on the forum which can be answered fully and accurately in 3 words - Leave it dangling.

Must be the first question I've seen on the forum which can be answered fully and accurately in 3 words - Leave it dangling.
If it was that simple more members would have answered as 4 to 6 words can be taxing for some. Where is Buzz BTW ;o))))))

Reply to Preparing ceiling rose for plastering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net