Discuss price quote for job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kshah86

Hello, recently qualified electrician. I’m doing a job for someone. They have a radial circuit which they want to convert to a ring. I need to run a wire from the last socket which is on the third floor back to the consumer unit. They person wants it done in conduit or trunking. I was wondering what price quote i should roughly give him. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. It’s a semi detached property. 3 floors. also does this require new cert as im changing the circuit from radial to ring or can i issue a minor works cert?

I'm assuming that you will be changing the 16 amp MCB to 32 amps, so as such you will need a full EIC. Additionally, this is notifiable. Don't they teach you anything on these 18 day courses?

Last edited:
soon we'll have to notify some bureaucratic jobsworth organisation every time we wipe our arses.

Why on earth would a customer even ask for this alteration.

Also running back to the CU over what I presume is a fair distance won't be any good for the load balancing on your new circuit either

I'm with guitarist on this one, if your changing it into a ring main your pretty much changing all the characteristics of the circuit, you can now do test that couldn't have been done before, end to end etc, plus your taking the old mcb out and replacing a new one, if I replace an mcb I do NIC cert on that circuit, when you change a D.B You have to test every effected circuit on a NIC right?

I'm with guitarist on this one, if your changing it into a ring main your pretty much changing all the characteristics of the circuit, you can now do test that couldn't have been done before, end to end etc, plus your taking the old mcb out and replacing a new one, if I replace an mcb I do NIC cert on that circuit, when you change a D.B You have to test every effected circuit on a NIC right?

That's my point really. You are not simply modifying something which is existing, the way you might extend a radial or spur off a lighting point; you are creating a whole new circuit in name, characteristics, OCPD size and type of testing required. It is, to all intent and purpose, a completely different circuit.
Just my opinion anyway, not that it matters as the OP hasn't been back since posting. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Went to have a look at the house today. Basically the guys having building work done, but before the building work, he was getting complaints from the tenants that every so often, the rcd kept tripping. He asked the builder to have a look and the builder told him that it is because the circuit was setup as a radial and needed to be changed. When i went and had a look. Turns out the builder was wrong and he’s only good for laying the bricks. The circuit in question was already a ring. Done my tests and found the fault. One of the neutrals was not terminated in the spur socket of the ring. Once fault had been rectified I done rcd tests and everything was fine. No need for altering the circuit at all.

Unrelated to this but at the same house, the guy had a big living room. He has partitioned this and made it smaller to extend the kitchen. There are sockets now in the kitchen which are on the same ring as the living room which he does not want live any more as the new bigger kitchen has had new wiring and circuit installed. Is it ok to isolate the unwanted sockets in the kitchen via terminal blocks, wrap with insulation tape and cover with blank plates or not?

Reply to price quote for job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net