• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Pricing Kitchen rewire and consumer unit upgrade with bonding and Cert in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening people.
I'm about to price up a kitchen we wire for a friend
I've done work for mates before and know how it goes.
Anyway, was hoping to get some guidance as I'm an improved and steadily taking on larger jobs myself.

Job:
Kitchen rewire.
3 sockets 3 single sockets chased in
4 spurs plastic under cupboards
Extractor Fan supply
6mm supply to new hob
New boiler supply
Upgrade bonding
Upgrade Consumer unit to split load 8 way. Same location
The run is an easy run as the consumer unit is currently mounted by the coving 3 meters from kitchen with an open clear loft.

I can't sign this off myself however I know someone who will test it after me and notify building control and issue cert (completed my apprenticeship with them)
I'll also test everything myself before asking them to come in and do this.

Customer supplies the face plates on show
I'll supply cable consumer unit fixings plastic spurs capping

I was thinking around £200 for materials followed by £400 labour and around £70-£100 for my mate to test and cert?

Time scales I'm allowing around 3 days 5 hours for consumer unit as it's old as ---- need to extend cables or 're run new ones to first points

That leaves enough for first and second fix of kitchen.

Open to suggestions and thanks for reading;)

Good evening people.
I'm about to price up a kitchen we wire for a friend
I've done work for mates before and know how it goes.
Anyway, was hoping to get some guidance as I'm an improved and steadily taking on larger jobs myself.

Job:
Kitchen rewire.
3 sockets 3 single sockets chased in
4 spurs plastic under cupboards
Extractor Fan supply
6mm supply to new hob
New boiler supply
Upgrade bonding
Upgrade Consumer unit to split load 8 way. Same location
The run is an easy run as the consumer unit is currently mounted by the coving 3 meters from kitchen with an open clear loft.

I can't sign this off myself however I know someone who will test it after me and notify building control and issue cert (completed my apprenticeship with them)

Customer supplies the face plates on show
I'll supply cable consumer unit fixings plastic spurs capping

I was thinking around £200 for materials followed by £400 labour and around £70-£100 for my mate to test and cert?

Time scales I'm allowing around 3 days 5 hours for consumer unit as it's old as ---- need to extend cables or 're run new ones to first points

That leaves enough for first and second fix of kitchen.

Open to suggestions and thanks for reading;)

Light is being replaced same position
Customer supplying.

To put this into perspective, I charged £450 + materials recently to install 6 down lights and some led sticky tape on to cabinets in a kitchen. Also changed accessories to flush chrome plate, looked awful as hardly any walls were truly flush or straight, so lots of little gaps for customer to fill in with caulk.
That was at the cheap end of my rates as they are a family friend.
As others said, I would be up around £1200 for the labour and materials.
Its also a potential pandoras box changing that consumer unit. if you find issues elsewhere then you must fix them, possibly at additional time/cost.

While I would nor ally agree.. It's a price for a friend.. I give mates 'mates rates' but nothing wrong with genuinely giving mates rates. Besides I'm guessing it's one of his first few jobs solo? Make sure your charging what roughly what these guys say for normal custom.

While I would nor ally agree.. It's a price for a friend.. I give mates 'mates rates' but nothing wrong with genuinely giving mates rates. Besides I'm guessing it's one of his first few jobs solo? Make sure your charging what roughly what these guys say for normal custom.

This is my point as it's a close friend however I don't want to dig myself a hole if faults are found etc for peanuts

(Staff edited for language content!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
1-1.3k ish for the works described depending on where it is you live not including materials.

Offer your friend the option of reimbursement for materials rather then bundling it into your quote, you won’t loose out and you can offer your friend rcbos rather then spilt way etc.

Also worth noting as your upgrading the dB any faults will need to be fixed, either test beforehand or tell your friend to be prepared for additional works.

is your tester friend a nic by any chance .and you are puting in a consumer unit and the work .
Cause no third party testing for them .i hope they have got get out jail card then and liability to cover your work then

I am going to put aside my suspicions on the name of Red Kipper sounds like a variant of Red Herring. Your price for testing is way out. First if you are going to change a C.U. then you would ideally do an EICR I charge £25 per circuit so that would be around £150 (at six circuits?) Seems to me that an eight way C.U. is a bit tight might have gone for a ten way for future needs. Then there may be remedial work such as the bonding you mentioned and maybe other on top say £200?? After you have completed the work and during the design and erection I would have to inspect what was going on and test as you go with a set of dead tests before commissioning the C.U. say another £100?? so straight away you are looking at £450. The materials around £200. Then the labour for the work £1100 so that's £1600 ish. Only STROMA allow third party sign offs so hopefully your mate is with STROMA. I am surprised if you have done your apprenticeship that you are not already able to sign off your own work with testing and commissioning experience hence I was thinking about your name RedKipper being some variant on a Red Herring:)o_O If you can sign off your work then use it to register with a scheme. You have thirty days to test and issue a cert so plenty of time to arrange an assessment for the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - I see it's your first post, so welcome. But if you are doing it for a mate, don't you work it out between you? If you are doing it for business then after 3 years of working with an Electrician you should have plenty of experience with pricing?

Reply to Pricing Kitchen rewire and consumer unit upgrade with bonding and Cert in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back