• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Pricing larger new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Morning all

Need some advice on pricing a 6 bedroom house with a swimming pool.

Im use to pricing your average 3 bedroom new build but this is another step for me.

The house is 37m x 24m

Ground floor: Play room, family room, dining room, gallery/entrance, kitchen, pantry, study, sitting room, gym, utility room, plant room, craft room, gardeners wc, swimming pool

1st floor: 6 bedrooms, all en suits, 3 have large dressing rooms, ac room, laundry room, gallery/landing

Most downlights everywhere, all data and tv in rooms, 63a supply to swimming pool for now, no info on heating yet

Could you not get the price you charge for doing the same to a 3 bedroom, divide it by the number of rooms, then times it by the number of rooms in the big house.
See what figure you get then, as a ball-park figure

Houses this size can spiral quickly ...

I have worked on 6-7 bed houses that start off at around £100k then quickly spiral up and up and end up at £200k..
I have worked on houses with a £350k electrical budget.

Are you supplying everything??

What accessories are being used?? Very Unlikely White plastic will be spec, so you could end up with Wandsworth accessories at £30 a double socket

Is there a Lightning design ??

Could you not get the price you charge for doing the same to a 3 bedroom, divide it by the number of rooms, then times it by the number of rooms in the big house. See what figure you get then, as a ball-park figure

I think the above approach will likely underestimate somewhat.

Last large house I worked on, similar size/rooms, there was a lot more installed that you'd expect in a typical 3 or 4 bed.

Some examples:
- Marker lights in ensuites activated on entry, so you don't need to put on main lights in the middle of the night.
- Marker lights on staircases.
- Wardrobe lights.
- Data & speaker cables from everywhere back to a central cupboard.
- Some rooms had 7 speaker points, others maybe only 4 (we used 2km of nice speaker cable).
- Separate satellite & freeview coax distribution
- Kitchen big hob, 2 regular ovens, steam oven, warming drawers, built-in microwave, etc.
- Some 3 or even 4 way light switching (e.g. landing lights).
- Beside lights plus 3-way switching for main bedroom lights.

And the accessories will all be some decorative finish, perhaps grid switch modules.

Houses this size can spiral quickly ...

I have worked on 6-7 bed houses that start off at around £100k then quickly spiral up and up and end up at £200k..
I have worked on houses with a £350k electrical budget.

Is there a Lightning design ??

If your talking in those terms, I'm sure there would be a full spec involved.
Is there, by any chance? It doesn't seem so.

Back on topic... if you only have a single phase 100A supply, that 63a swimming pool heater is using nearly two thirds of what you have available, with no diversity available on that circuit. In fact if the pool heater is on and the kitchen is in action, you could easily be drawing over 100A before allowing for anything else. A gas or oil fired plant room will come with cheaper running costs, if you have any influence over this. If however the supply is 100/3, as is often the case is many older large properties, then you'll have plenty of capacity to design with.

Back on topic... if you only have a single phase 100A supply, that 63a swimming pool heater is using nearly two thirds of what you have available, with no diversity available on that circuit. In fact if the pool heater is on and the kitchen is in action, you could easily be drawing over 100A before allowing for anything else. A gas or oil fired plant room will come with cheaper running costs, if you have any influence over this. If however the supply is 100/3, as is often the case is many older large properties, then you'll have plenty of capacity to design with.
I know where you're coming from, but it's not that realistic that a domestic kitchen will be pulling 37A (or at least for any length of time).

Thanks for all the reply's! Its in the early stages at the moment so only have some info.

They have asked for a standardish spec at the moment as to there usual house builds . Currenlty looking around 4/5 sockets in each room, down lights to suit the size room with a dimmer, 1 dual coax and one cat6 cable. But they think the spec may change as it goes on, they want to give a client a "rough idea" on price. They have asked for brushed stainless throughout

Not sure on the supply, but im guessing it could potentially be 3phase as the area has houses all around the same size with swimming pool, large plant room, heating etc. I have a friend who did a similar job and allowed a single phase 63a supply for a swimming pool on the price as i have no spec on the swimming pool

SPDs...

In this case I would price as you would normally price a job , per point white plastic and your standard led downlight etc etc

On jobs this size I then work out a list of wiring accessories I need and give it to 2 or 3 wholesalers to quote on in your stainless.

Add this to your original estimate and you have a very rough ball park figure for the customer

Ive just priced a 5 bed house 2 bathrooms, no pool.

Basic install onependant per room, basic number of sockets, gas cooker, mixer shower, nice and easy. £6500.

I spent 2 hours with client at address going over specs and 4 hours writing up quote.

He got a bit of a shock at price and was quoted less, but went with me because the other spark spent 15 minutes looking around and sent an undetailed quote with a price.

Reply to Pricing larger new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back