Discuss Pricing per point in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

angelofmercy186

Hi all
just recently gone self employed (not through choice) and was wondering when pricing full rewires how much to charge roughly per point.
I'm in yorkshire and know it will be different accross the uk but just want to know if I'm in the right price range

£40 per point un-occupied
£50 per point occupied
Showers and cookers class as 2 points
D/B as 4 points (up to 10 circuits)

or would it be best to price per hour?
@ £20 per hour
1.5 hours per point un-occupied
2 hours per point occupied
4 hours for D/B
plus the cost of materials?

any help would be great also what sort of prices other sparks charge?

I have to admit I always charged per hour, Domestic 20-25 and commercial/industrial 25-30.

Ok per point on new wires but you may get a weird shape house that you will need to do a lot of prep work to run an extra socket and if you charged 50 pound you could be there most of the day.

With rewires,there may be a lage proportion of the unoccupied priced through a builder and a price for the full works would be usual

I am probably in a poorer area than you, and I see prices bandied about on here that some people say is their minimum and think to myself that if those prices were charged,they would never ever work

Having said that,£ 40 per point on an unoccupied would be lower than you could get

If you based the price on the overall price,the socket quantities/prices make up a large proportion of the full cost and it seems too cheap

Average say 20 sockets at £40 =£800
For a full rewire of say £1800 there would have to be high prices on the rest to get somewhere near that figure
I would suggest at least basing your price per point £ 55 unoccupied and a little more occupied

Remembering also that for individual socket installation jobs, there may be much higher factors to include,Rcd and bonding etc ,so make sure thats made known

The council pay £115 per cooker or shower and you wont get lower than them,so £80 again seems low

Good luck to you and eventually time will answer your questions

i usually price per point, then add up materials and estimate the time taken. if that looks good, then i stick to it. if not i will then re-evaluate my price per point.

As long as you see the job you can price per point if you want to but dont fall for the trap of price per point then find out your faced with a nightmare............He said from experience.

Allowing a time frame per point is the best way to go, that way if someone asks for labour only, you can tell them exactly what it will be.
Your time scales are about right 1.5 hrs empty and 2 hours if lived in.
I'm in the process of making a spreadsheet that prices per point very quickly. I'm making what our American cousins call "assemblies". The workbook has a sheet that contains a price list of commonly used domestic materials. It then has an assembly sheet, where all common points are built i.e. Double socket (flush) 10 x 2.5mm 6242Y, 2mtrs 25mm oval conduit, 1 x 2gang 35mm KO box, 1 x Twin socket and a time allowance. The materials are linked directly to the common price list, so you make your price updates on that sheet and the points update automatically. Then the third sheet has the complete points listed and you just add the quantities and it adds it all up. There will be a control sheet and some other extra bits too.

Voltimax are you planning to make the spreadsheet/workbook available for forum members to download? please? i was looking for a beg/grovel smiley but couldnt see one

Voltimax are you planning to make the spreadsheet/workbook available for forum members to download? please? i was looking for a beg/grovel smiley but couldnt see one

Well now that depends on when it gets finished. I never seem to get much time building the assemblies and there are an awful lot of different combinations i.e. Double socket flush, Double socket surface, double socket outdoor etc etc and that's just double sockets!
I'll also be looking at using a check box or something so you can change the make of accessory and it automatically recalculates i.e. Crabtree or MK etc

Time will tell, I was looking for some help on my last project, but there wasn't much interest.

some good idea's to take on board. the spread sheet sounds a good idea but think I need more jobs to quote for before I can make a good go at it.

Reply to Pricing per point in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net