Discuss Pricing via point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Snapester

Hi guys, i have brought this up before but now have a bit more experience! Basically i am pricing a firm who do conservatories and they want price per point, basically some can be done in one visit but a lot are 2 visit jobs after plasterer has been and done his bit!.
Basically i have come up with my prices for a one visit job and the price also applies to a 2 visit job but i need to add on a cost for a second visit, some people have said double the price of one visit item but i think this is too much?
Average 2nd visit time is around 3hrs depending on any remedial work required from the first visit if installation is not up to regs!

Here is my first visit prices.
Price Per Socket - £80
RCD fused spur - £110
Light & Switch Point - £75
Extra Switching - £60
Fused Spur - £80

So what would you say for a return 2nd visit? I have already been agreed on 1st visit prices?

Cheers guys

charge the 3 hours at your hourly rate, say, £20/hour. don't forget time testing.

Well many are just MWC, so not major in-depth testing so say 4hrs max. I did say £165 for the return visit to cover fuel and testing and so on, but they are umming and ahhhing! Everyone wants something for free, they are prob charging customer £600 for me ha,

so, drop it to £120 ish. that should make 'em bite.

My math isn't that bad... lol!! your talking 165 quid for a return visit, Tel's talking 120 quid, so 2X 120 = 240 quid!! Testing should form part of your per point price in any case!! Or is the norm to quote 80 quid per point, + testing, + fuel, + return visit, etc,etc?? On your first visit, (if 2 visits are required) your not doing 80 quids worth of work either...

Well if you want to work for pennies and travel to jobs for free be my guest i don't do that. I have overheads and bills to pay.
£80 for a first fix and wiring of a socket is a good price and having to travel back to the job isn't my problem they should do it all in one day if they don't want the cost of the return. I can't justify driving back for free and wasting a few hours i could be making money on somewhere else.
Business is business no one does me any favours so there we go.

My math isn't that bad... lol!! your talking 165 quid for a return visit, Tel's talking 120 quid, so 2X 120 = 240 quid!! Testing should form part of your per point price in any case!! Or is the norm to quote 80 quid per point, + testing, + fuel, + return visit, etc,etc?? On your first visit, (if 2 visits are required) your not doing 80 quids worth of work either...

To be fair, op is talking about 10 or so ccts.

Still seems quite juicy prices to me; new build, no chasing out/decorations to worry about etc. But they've agreed the 1st fix price, so fair play to the man!

OP, post some pictures of the job when you're on it. :sunny:

The average i have done is 2 sockets and 1 lighting point & switch. Which when totalled is fine for a one day visit and work. But my problem comes from going back 20 odd miles to connect up and test. We all have to make up our costs other wise i might as well get a 9-5 at tesco.

No, a letter is sent out by the company before i go to site saying that if the installation is not up to current standards that it might require extra work. This incase installations have no RCD protection or bonding etc is not present.

A kitchen fitters wanted some prices, so quoted 30 for a face plate change. I don't quote for extra sockets, I go view it first. Recently quoted 110 for 2 sockets side by side. So 65 I suppose. But I make good and second fix there and then. I make sure they know I'm not a plasterer

Was offered work for a kitchen company - £30 per spur/socket, if any upgrades need doing that's in the cost, you take the rough with the smooth! It's no wonder corners are getting cut, the price is low to start with and if you need to upgrade/add bonding, rcd's etc you are well and truely hammered. I declined the work, but someone else didn't.

I make it £325 for a two socket 2 visit job. Steep indeed. I charge £500 labour and cable to wire a bathroom which is always two visit but usually around 10 points. The clients are predominantly millionaires too.

I think £80 price for a socket is reasonable enough for small jobs where there may only be 2 but then charging £165 to put a socket on the socket they've just paid for? hmmm?

If it were me I'd only charge travel time and fuel on the second visit (£50-£75) the work you do once you get there is work you would have had to do anyway on a 1 visit job so asking to be paid again for it is going to make you look like a **** taker and could even lose you the work

i am far from cheap, yet i feel you are very expensive , good for you if you are getting it though

Not so much i'm trying to be expensive, its just the work can be 40miles away plus and i can spend half the day getting there sometimes in which i'm trying to not do myself over! I don't rip people off i have plenty enough work at the moment and do not really need to scrimp myself just to make a couple quid.

Not so much i'm trying to be expensive, its just the work can be 40miles away plus and i can spend half the day getting there sometimes in which i'm trying to not do myself over! I don't rip people off i have plenty enough work at the moment and do not really need to scrimp myself just to make a couple quid.

fair point, by all means charge the maximum you can get away with but I'd suggest the second visit call out should be variable depending on time it takes to get there...£15 per quater hour spent driving or summin...

Reply to Pricing via point? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock