Discuss Pricing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Dazzol2009

Hi guys, just thought I would throw a question about certain job pricing, I have been asked to certificate a new extention, which on visiting is only an extention of circuits, ie Lighting and ring main, so was going to issue a Minor works certificate, but have really thought about pricing, as the original electrician can't be contacted, just wondered what the going rate was.

I would walk away mate. If you have not been involved since day 1 you have no idea of what the original guy has done re cable selection/routes etc etc + it's very very naughty to sign off someone else's work

They need a certificate to get a completion certificate for the extention, it was done over 12 months ago, I have been doing work for the builder the lat 6 months , but he has tried ringing him but can't get hold of him , trying to do him a favour.

As trev has said it is very naughty signing off someone else's work!

If your going to do it say no more on here and make sure you make it worth your while! Thinking that one sign off could end your career as an electrician so make sure if you do do-it you make it worth your while!

Personally I would run a mile!

They need a certificate to get a completion certificate for the extention, it was done over 12 months ago, I have been doing work for the builder the lat 6 months , but he has tried ringing him but can't get hold of him , trying to do him a favour.

Think about it - is this your problem?
This builder would they do this for you?
If you cant get hold of him Im sure that tells you something!

Fair enough, they need a cert but what do you need more?
Do you need to do these guys a favour or do you need your business, reputation and income.
The most I would do here is to carry out an I&T and issue an EICR. This would be after I had a conversation with LABC to see if they would accept that.
Any other option, do as I said in my first post, walk away.

To be honest tell them the price that you would ask for is more than LABC would ask for.

Tell them to go and see their LABC and ask them for help, they must go through this hundreds of times every year with Electricians quitting or finishing for any reason.

Walk Away!

Agree with rest do EICR thats all i would do. Never sign off others work .

Ok guys thanks for advice, as part of a proffesion that is responsable for health and safety at a high level, does the homeowner have the right to be told if his house is safe or not, and if the sparky that done the orinal work is a bit dodgy are we not lowering our standards to their level by turning a blind eye.

Yes you are right, we do have a responsibility to ensure that our work is of a very high standard so as to ensure that no harm comes to members of the public, their property or livestock. We do not have a responsibility to ensure that other's work is of the same standard (unless we are employed as inspectors/testers of other's work)
You're not turning a blind eye by walking away or by limiting your exposure mate you're covering your own ---.
Just suppose you went along, after 2nd fix, and issued an EIC. Then something goes wrong and the place burns down.
Who would be in front of people in wigs and funny clothes?.
By issuing an EICR, after consulting LABC, you are (within reason) in the clear.

Ok guys thanks for advice, as part of a proffesion that is responsable for health and safety at a high level, does the homeowner have the right to be told if his house is safe or not, and if the sparky that done the orinal work is a bit dodgy are we not lowering our standards to their level by turning a blind eye.

As everyone has said do a EICR on the property.

But t be honest you say do they have the right to know

Think about it now, last time I checked no-one had xray vision and cant see the cables behind the walls.

But as I said get LABC to deal with it.

How do you know this sparky didn't join cables togeather using insulation tape? - YOU DONT.

Dont get me wrong but Im thinking your going to sign this off anyway - so we are all wasting our time
If you do sign this off then - People like yourself give electricians a bad name!

If you dont sign it off then good on you!

Out of interest is this person related to you, there seems to be a connection between you and the builder/customer.

I was only after advice , they are not related to me , doing a Eicr, sounds very understandable, but I always like to understand both sides of the story, the aggressiveness of the replays has shocked me a little.
But thanks for the advice that I do think is usefull.

Dazzol, I'm sorry if any of my replies have seemed aggressive, that was not my intention. It just seemed to me that you may have been going to go into a situation that you should not be putting yourself in and that maybe you didn't understand the full ramifications of that course of action.
Your reputation is worth more than that mate.

Look after builders pal, they are a bloody good source of work. If this guys giving you work already you wanna keep him sweet by not being a nob. Check the work is good, charge him a ton maybe a ton and a half. Its worth doing the little stuff for cheap to keep him bringing you the big stuff.

Look after builders pal, they are a bloody good source of work. If this guys giving you work already you wanna keep him sweet by not being a nob.
Please tell how he is going to tell that there isn't a taped joint under the floor that's going to work loose in a few weeks time?
It's not about not being a nob mate, it's about doing the job right in such a way that limits your exposure to something that a guy who you don't know has done. The original guy might be the best spark in the world but on the other hand.......

Thankyou for your reply , I do understand what you are saying and thankyou for thinking about my reputation, if it helps I have changed my opinion of the job in question, the EICR seems very sensible for all parties, thanks again for exposing it to me

Don't forget though Dazzol. Before you do it talk to LABC to make sure they'll accept it. Do it by email if possible so you have a record of it.
I'm not saying that they'll try to screw you if something does go wrong but as I said earlier, it's good to have your butt covered every possible way

Reply to Pricing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock