Discuss Problem - Fridge Freezer Causing Nuisance Rcd Tripping. How Do I Rectify? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KDT Projects

I have traced the nuisance tripping down to the fridge freezer and im wondering how best to go about rectifying the problem and staying within the 17th edition regs.

Any ideas would be greatly recieved.

Hi KDT, if the fridge/freezer is still under warranty get it replaced, have had this before with brand spankers tripping RCD at strange times.

If not you may have to run it on a dedicated circuit to reduce leakage, if it still trips you may have to go surface mounted cabling/outlet (if possible).

Regards WA

Hi KDT, if the fridge/freezer is still under warranty get it replaced, have had this before with brand spankers tripping RCD at strange times.

If not you may have to run it on a dedicated circuit to reduce leakage, if it still trips you may have to go surface mounted cabling/outlet (if possible).

Regards WA

Thanks for that WA, i'll be checking the warranty with the client as i believe its fairly new. Otherwise i think i'll have to go with a dedicated circuit, hopefully that might work.
I'm intruiged at your other option of surface mounted cabling/outlet, can you clarify for me.

he means, you can run a separate cct. for the freezer. 16A 2.5mm radial . no RCD, but to comply with 17th you have to not bury in wall, run nsurface ( trunking) and label socket as non RCD protected. i.e.dedicated to the freezer

Apologies about the surface mount option, think that went out with 16th, unless its FCU only. Was never my preferred option.

Had a customer who had purchased an American type bells & whistles number that tripped RCD in early hours for no apparent reason, was able to get it on it's own non-RCD circuit for a couple of days & hey presto bit of excess leakage from unit was causing problems. Was a top end brand & to their credit replaced it no questions asked.

Regards WA

he means, you can run a separate cct. for the freezer. 16A 2.5mm radial . no RCD, but to comply with 17th you have to not bury in wall, run nsurface ( trunking) and label socket as non RCD protected. i.e.dedicated to the freezer

Does the trunking have to be metal and so earthed or will plastic trunking suitable?

or run the cable in steel earthed conduit in the wall

Thanks John, i think we posted at the same time. So just to clarify, if the cable is surface mounted it can be any material trunking and suitably labelled and if its buried in the wall it must be steel conduit and suitably labelled?

Surface mounted cable (the full run) does not need to be rcd protected. But for mechanical protection you can use pvc conduit and as above label the socket accordingly.

as aboive. paul beat me to it. as long as surface, pvc mini trunkiing is fine.

yes, but i don't waste time knocking balls round green belt, wherre we could have loads of detached dog kennels built give us all work fitting installations in cardboard houses

Last edited:
Tell him to move to a colder country where he can keep his food fresh by placing outside in the snow,then take freezer to scrap man and have a few pints with the money or if he thinks your mad then he will not be calling you again ....either way the problem is solved.

I have traced the nuisance tripping down to the fridge freezer and im wondering how best to go about rectifying the problem

Is the nuisance tripping an appliance fault or an accumalation of circuit leakage ?

If it is a fault on the appliance. It may be a better option to clear that fault, rather than altering the fixed installation to permit the fault or leakage to go undetected

I have never come across a domestic fridge or freezer where I am which isn't on a standard 3-pin plug and therefore on earth leakage protection.

From what I've read it seems quite common in the UK to run a dedicated circuit specifically for the fridge and use a hard-wired isolator instead of a plug and socket thereby negating the need for earth leakage protection. Why is this necessary? It seems like an expensive option which leaves the user in a far less safe position. If the fridge has a low insulation fault wouldn't it just be better to fix it?? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, if I am please forgive me and go easy :)

I have never come across a domestic fridge or freezer where I am which isn't on a standard 3-pin plug and therefore on earth leakage protection.

From what I've read it seems quite common in the UK to run a dedicated circuit specifically for the fridge and use a hard-wired isolator instead of a plug and socket thereby negating the need for earth leakage protection. Why is this necessary? It seems like an expensive option which leaves the user in a far less safe position. If the fridge has a low insulation fault wouldn't it just be better to fix it?? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, if I am please forgive me and go easy :)
as I see it, it's all down to global warming. fridge/freezers in this country were/are designed to operate at typical UK ambient temperatures. now that global warming has raised our average winter temperature to -2 degrees, they cannot cope and thus get their revenge by leaking to earth in a useless attempt to warm the planet to a temperature whereby they can justify their existence as cooling machines. failing which they just short circuit and take out fuses in spite.

Thanks for the prompt reply Telectrix, makes perfect sense.....but I believe it's know as climate change nowadays, ever since someone asked for actual proof that the planet is getting warmer and they couldn't come up with any ;-)

when the whole of this country is covered in a glacier due to the new ice age. i'll at least be able to say Nah'nah' told you so!!

there is only one significant factor causing climate change. it's 93million miles away.let's see the buggers convert that to energy saving.

Last edited:
there is only one significant factor causing climate change. it's 93million miles away.let's see the buggers convert that to energy saving.

Can you imagine the SIZE OF THE RCD!;););)

Sure I saw a documentary couple of years ago that said that our planet has a 80,000 year cycle from ice age to as hot has hell. I'll look into that but if it is true? Maybe a debate for another day and thread.

'If the fridge has a low insulation fault wouldn't it just be better to fix it?? Maybe I'm missing something obvious'

i agree that would be the best way to go by far , any hint's and tips to finding out where the fault is within the appliance?
anyone know if there any decent books/courses on appliance repair?

Reply to Problem - Fridge Freezer Causing Nuisance Rcd Tripping. How Do I Rectify? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock