Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Problem RCD warning in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Guest111

Guest111 Guest

Hi all,sorry if this has been posted before but just thought I,d bring it up anyway as it seems kind of important.I have just recently read an item in a magazine and it mentioned that a few people had had RCD,s blow up when they pressed the test button,didn,t mention any specific make of RCD but it was published in a well known magazine,now I don,t want to get involved in all kinds of arguments with this one,can it can,t it etc just thought I,d mention it, as I said appologies if it has already been mentioned but if something can go bang I guess we,d all like to be aware beforehand.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

I know who it isnt? It's not Wylex, Volex or Crabtree, can't tell you how I know this but I do.

3. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

What's with all this secret squirrel stuff then Paul?? ...lol!!

4. Paul.M

Paul.M Trusted Advisor

Because I'm seeing a girl from each factory behind my wifes back :):):).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Astro800

Astro800 Guest

Talking of Wylex, I used to hate their cartridge fuse boards. The way they held the BS 88 fuse was a nightmare. I saw a few of them that would arc & burn the board. One burned nearly half the board to a charred mess. Replaced it with a Crabtree split load.

6. MarkieSparkie

MarkieSparkie Guest

Can you provide a link to magazine article in question? It's difficult to comment on the subject without knowing the context of the text.

7. mickys86

mickys86 Electrician's Arms

Someone posted a topic on here before about an RCD that blew up when they pushed the test button. I think it was titled 'push to test' but not sure

8. Plonker 3

Plonker 3 Guest

Had a batch of Hager RCBOs a few years ago that were blowing up when the test button pressed.

9. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

their has been a flood of blackmarket illegal copies of electrical goods and although steps have been taken to stop them getting onto wholesalers shelfs occasionally they do, their has been programmes on it regarding 100amp main switches setting on fire, or blowing up when used but it goes without saying other devices will be cloned, we the end user would find it almost impossible to tell the difference till its too late, but its a reminder to buy legit and avoid internet sales from unknown sources.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Astro800

Astro800 Guest

There are MCBs that just have a wire straight through with a switch in the middle. So it is just that, a switch

11. mickys86

mickys86 Electrician's Arms

Thanks for the warning but I can bet you my house that if it happens it's still gonna make me jump!!!!! Haha

12. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

It seems pointless to give a warning and then no details. Give a link to the article or magazine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Guest111

Guest111 Guest

sorry all have tried to find the info but cant find mag at minute will keep trying.

14. Astro800

Astro800 Guest

Why is it pointless? it's still a warning & I thought everyone knew about it? Just make sure you buy stock from a valid source & you're covered. I think it was professional Electrician, but I can 't be sure, it was a reprint.

15. seb77

seb77 Regular EF Member

M2!!!!