Discuss Problem with a pressure washer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi im new to all this and wonder if you guys could help me out. I am trying to repair a pressure washer at work basicly it keeps blowing a 13amp fuse in plug every now and then 1 out of about 5 times of using it. its not that old we replaced the old one because of doing a similar problem but that was blowing every time. the new one is
3.2kw
230v
50hrz
so rated just over 13amp on start up but I think the fuse should handle this and dose sometimes could it be the circuit the pressure washer is connected to some how dropping in volts causing it to require more amps. it never trips the rcd in the board connected to type c 20amp breaker on a radial. i cant really try it on another circuit because there is not one there and all the sockets are on the same radial any help would be appreciated thanks

A possible cause is if the pressure is being retained in the system at switch off then when the compressor starts again it is trying to start running at full pressure and effectively stalling out and drawing a high enough current to blow the fuse. Have a procedure in place to release the trigger after use / before reuse to discharge the pressure.

Possibly the water supply is not high flow enough and is running the pump dry and causing resistance.
Similarly if the oil has not been changed this could be thickening and causing high resistance to start up.
Pressure washer running without using water for a long time can also overload the motor.
Not really a start up problem but if the spray nozzle is blocked this could cause high back pressure stressing the motor.

Try using a 16A blue commando plug and socket

Hi, is it safe for the motor to use a 16amp plug and fuse.

I have a old Karcher 850( cold water only) with no flow problems but cuts out
after 15 mins or ,blowing the 13amp fuse
and/or tripping house circuit breakers on start up (only sometimes)

I have thoroughly cleaned the lance etc

It is such a compact powerful washer that I want to keep it going!

Kind regards

Bernie

Attachments

• Karcher1.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 50
Hi.Just a quickie,most potential faults have been covered in this thread but there is another problem with the small Karchers i have encountered which will give fusing failure.The rotors turn in the centre of the bearings (double seal ball) and wear the shafts slightly eccentric.This causes interference with the windings and pop goes the fuse.I would'nt want to cast a frown at Karchers sourcing and Q.C. departments but the engineer in me thinks this could only happen if the shafts were too small and made of butter.... Just a thought!

Hi, is it safe for the motor to use a 16amp plug and fuse.

I have a old Karcher 850( cold water only) with no flow problems but cuts out
after 15 mins or ,blowing the 13amp fuse
and/or tripping house circuit breakers on start up (only sometimes)

I have thoroughly cleaned the lance etc

It is such a compact powerful washer that I want to keep it going!

Kind regards

Bernie

Bernie,

If it worked fine for years and suddenly develops a fault then it either needs repair or scrapping. 16A commando sockets are not fused, trying to bypass the safety device on the plug will not only push the problem back towards your wiring but could potentially endanger yourself and your family.

My advice, get it repaired or replaced.

Thanks for reply. I discovered the 3 pin pin was really corroded at the fuse terminals.
Put a new plug on and it worked for 4 hours yesterday, no problems!

Cheers, Bernie

Reply to Problem with a pressure washer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net