Discuss Problem with PIR light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Peep

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new here and would welcome some advice.
I'm an amateur, replacing an external light. The light is PIR activated only, and is not switched.
It used to be plugged into a 13 amp socket, but I have removed the socket and replaced it with a switched fused spur, with a 5amp fuse.

There is power going into the fused spur, and power going out of it to the fitting. However, the light does not come on.

I have checked the bulb and taken the cable out of the spur and wired it into a 13 amp plug. When I plug this into a socket, the lamp comes on.

There is a set of connector blocks in the fitting marked L, N, E and X. X goes to the PIR.. I have connected the Brown to L, Blue to N and Yellow/Green to E. The other internal cables were pre-wired.

Can anyone offer any help, please?

Thanks for your time.

blown fuse in FCU?

I'm afraid not. The fuse is fine, (I changed it anyway) and the power is definitely going to the light

faulty FCU. no neutral? how have you tested for voltage to fitting? voltstick will only detect L.

Agree with Tel, you need to test across live + neutral on the load side of the spur and check you have correct voltage.

I'm afraid not. The fuse is fine, (I changed it anyway) and the power is definitely going to the light

flex cable stripped not enough, does not make proper contact in the spur terminals?

Good idea, but I made sure the flex power in was properly connected. The wires in the fitting have a solid casing oo the ends, and I've made sure all the screws are down tight and given the cables a bit of a tug to make sure they are firm

Most external PIR lights are now switchable, manual / automatic. They don"t have a separate switch wire it's all dealt with on a switched live, the switching sequence selects manual or automatic operation. Is it in the correct mode, switching it off and leaving it for 30 secs should reset it to automatic. Switch on/off/on within 20 secs will set it in manual mode. They should be wired through a switched fcu to enable switching between automatic and manual operation for testing.

Reply to Problem with PIR light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock