Discuss Problem with solar immersion controller and battery system. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi - thanks for confirming that manual operation of the immersion heater does not make the A10 trip. Along the lines of #20 can you confirm it never trips with the immersion controller switched off? Perhaps it is seeing an overload when trying to balance sending power to the battery or the grid and immersion controller winding the load up and down in accord with its own programme (?). As you say, if immersion is left on 100%, the system does not trip.

You have given me a clue. I checked the positioning of the current transformers (thanks for telling me what they're really called) and moved the export one. You say you would expect it to be on a negative cable, the diagram in the Energy Master installation guide shows it should be on the positive. I have moved it from the positive to the negative, and thought that had fixed the problem - but then it tripped. Even so, it has been more stable today than many other days. Could it be that simple??
I have to go out now, but will try and answer your other questions later.

Re #22. Please take a look at Figure 2 of:

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/pdfs/Solar-Cache-Installation-guide.pdf

You will see the positions of 2 current transformers. One (shown on the left of Fig 2 - measures export power) clips around any one of the two thick cables 'leaving' the meter to the consumer unit. The other one (shown on the right above the Consumer Unit - measures PV generation fed into the mains wiring) clips around the line(brown) or neutral (blue) of the output from the Samsung A10. Neither current transformer is clipped around the cables (positive and negative) between the solar panels and the A10.

Now, if you a current transformer clipped around one of the PV panel cables this is wrong. To move it to clip around the Samsung A10 line or neutral output will require an electrician to do it safely.

Please confirm you have an mcb in the CU for the PV.

Last edited:
Hi - thanks for confirming that manual operation of the immersion heater does not make the A10 trip. Along the lines of #20 can you confirm it never trips with the immersion controller switched off? Perhaps it is seeing an overload when trying to balance sending power to the battery or the grid and immersion controller winding the load up and down in accord with its own programme (?). As you say, if immersion is left on 100%, the system does not trip.

Yes, I can confirm that it only trips when the controller is set to automatic. You may be right about balancing sending power to the battery or elsewhere, but I'd have thought if that was the case it might trip when charging and, say, you turn on the kettle. Other things turning on or off round the house have never been a problem.

Re the kettle : If I've understood correctly the immersion controller (when on auto) is continuously fiddling the current to the immersion and the A10 may trip. And when immersion is manually on or off the A10 behaves normally. I think the kettle on or off is same as immersion manually on or off. No continuous load adjustment and no A10 tripping, if that makes any sense. It's only a theory, with no data to support ...

Re: #9. Some more questions please.

1. Your diagram shows the Samsung A10 connected by a 'T' to the tails going to the consumer unit. Is this actually so? A picture would be helpful. I'd have expected the A10 to be connected to a circuit breaker in the consumer unit.

2. Where does the thin white wire shown on the left of the Absolute go to?

3. The current transformer are the devices which clip around the cables. Are they wired or wireless? Can you take some pictures?

4. Please confirm there is a current transformer clipped on the live or neutral leaving the A10. It must not be simply connected around both live and neutral. Again a picture would be helpful.

5. There should be another current transformer connected around one of the thick cables on the house side of the meter. A photo would be helpful.

6. Where is the A10 located? Is it getting too hot during the recent very warm weather?

Sorry for the delay, also for my amateurish attempts at describing how it's all wired up. I have attached a photo - hope that helps. Sorry it's sideways.
To answer your questions in order:
1. There is a circuit breaker, but it's stand-alone, not in the main consumer unit. See photo.
2. The thin white wire is the antenna. There is one on each of the throttles and on the Energy Master control unit.
3. The current transformers are wired. You can see one in the photo. They connect to the Energy Master with phono plugs, hence the birds nest of thin black wires.
4. There is a current transformer clipped on the live wire leaving the A10. It is just out of sight to the left of the system consumer unit. The electrician who installed it looped the live wire out of the side of the unit and back in again to accommodate the current transformer.
5. See 3 above.
6. The A10 is on the floor directly below the photo. It has been getting warm there, but nowhere near 40 degrees. The fans appear to be working well and run at different speeds at different times.

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_0002.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Re the kettle : If I've understood correctly the immersion controller (when on auto) is continuously fiddling the current to the immersion and the A10 may trip. And when immersion is manually on or off the A10 behaves normally. I think the kettle on or off is same as immersion manually on or off. No continuous load adjustment and no A10 tripping, if that makes any sense. It's only a theory, with no data to support ...

Yes, that's right. However, when it's in the mood it can run perfectly well for hours at a time with the current fluctuating all over the place as clouds pass, the fridge goes on and off, someone uses the microwave etc etc. There seems to be no pattern to when it trips, only that it has to be set to automatic and (possibly) with the battery at a low percentage charge.

From the picture all seems connected correctly. I have exhausted the things I would have checked, albeit - clutching at straws - I'd run a calibration sequence on the immersion controllers see section 5 of

I suspect the battery or the cooling system - two sub-systems of the A10 which age with operational use.

Here is a website which might help you find a technician to attend your home:

Samsung SDI ESS Energy Solar Battery | Solar Guide - https://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-batteries/samsung-sdi-ess-energy#/

When you discover what was the problem it would be nice if you cold report back.

:)

From the picture all seems connected correctly. I have exhausted the things I would have checked, albeit - clutching at straws - I'd run a calibration sequence on the immersion controllers see section 5 of

I suspect the battery or the cooling system - two sub-systems of the A10 which age with operational use.

Here is a website which might help you find a technician to attend your home:

Samsung SDI ESS Energy Solar Battery | Solar Guide - https://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-batteries/samsung-sdi-ess-energy#/

When you discover what was the problem it would be nice if you cold report back.

:)

Just to keep in touch - Solar Guide are looking for an engineer who can come and look at my system and, I hope, diagnose the problem. So, thanks very much for their details. Fingers now crossed....

Reply to Problem with solar immersion controller and battery system. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock