Discuss Problems Posting - 25 chars in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi @Dan ,

For some reason I seem to be having a hell of a time trying to post. It keeps timing out and nothing new appears (normally, when I refresh the thread I see my post has actually been posted, but the UI didn't update properly). Yesterday I used this refresh the thread approach to see if I had posted and it appeared I hadn't, then there were about 5 copies of the same post.

I think the same thing is happening now when I'm trying to reply to a thread. My post count isn't going up, there is no hint of the post on my profile activity and no sign of it in the thread, but I suspect it's going to appear.

Any ideas of what's going wrong?

So, I've just seen my first attempt at posting appear in my profile and it's now on the thread. I suspect the other attempts I've made will also arrive.

Does the site use a distributed database? Possible synchronisation problems between them?

And I've just seen another attempt appear.

@GMES , @Leesparkykent , @Marvo :- Sorry chaps, but could one of you tidy up my dupes in this thread:-

What is the best was to splice electrical wire to power two components? (Arcade power supply and LCD - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/what-is-the-best-was-to-splice-electrical-wire-to-power-two-components-arcade-power-supply-and-lcd.124889/

I'd give it about half an hour before you do as I suspect it's going to take that long for them all to appear.

Sorry, just wanted to try and see if it was a repeat of yesterdays efforts and it does appear to be so.

@Dan - There does appear to be some form of synchronisation issue between servers. I'm not sure of the backend you use for the site, but something is very wrong if it's taking 11 minutes for post to end up back on the master server.

That's because your UI isn't facilitated amongst the database, in the server waitress synchronisation fall back, causing poor activation to the coordination protocols.

In other words its FUBAR and very annoying :)

I've had this as well.

Mods: Is there any change of having a 'Delete Post' option along side the 'Edit' option?

I've had this as well.

Mods: Is there any change of having a 'Delete Post' option along side the 'Edit' option?
There isn't a delete post option as it could get very confusing when people reply to deleted posts etc. I've flagged this thread for admin to take a look.

The bizarre thing is, it's not every thread or every post. My gut feeling is it's something to do with post size and the front end timing out, but as stated previously, usually when this happens I refresh the thread and my post is there, but in these cases there is a definite delay in the backend and that is what's causing the problem as it's taking over 10 minutes for my failed but successful (failed from the web front end perspective but successful from the forum perspective) to appear.

There isn't a delete post option as it could get very confusing when people reply to deleted posts etc. I've flagged this thread for admin to take a look.

If you put a time limit on it, like the Edit, then things would be better. Say 10 mins.
Not sure how hard it would be, so you can't delete it if someone replies to it and quotes you.

--I avoid the Too many clicks habit -and run -off /exit with PC ...
( Maybe outside forces are up to no good...Slowdown)
...I've seen no logical pattern/ varied post sizes - Lost the odd item
(So usually SAVE long posts ...pasted else where if it doesn't turn up)

As for delete -- Where's the fun in letting others delete RANTs .

I've made a sticky here so hopefully we'll get more info from others. The issue has been highlighted in the Staff Room so that Dan can hopefully resolve the problem.

Please give us as much info as poss about the problem, the device you're using and the browser.

Thanks.

Hi staff :)

Details of my system....

Windows 7 64bit, fully up to date. Machine is an Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz with 16GB of RAM. Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX760 with I think 2GB of RAM.
Browser is typically Firefox 56.0 (32 bit version)

When a post appears to fail what happens is the spinner image that shows the site is working appears in the top right corner and then just stays there. Eventually it times out and the page reloads, with my post reply still in the edit box.

When it's all working as it should, the same sequence of events occurs, but it's usually much quicker and the edit box is cleared.

This forum software appears to be heavily dependent on AJAX style client/server interaction and my feeling is the AJAX side in the client is timing out due to the server taking much longer to process the request (server load or something). But the server continues to process the request and successfully posts, but the client sees it as a failure and gives the impression is didn't work.

Normally what I was able to do was refresh the page to check if in fact my post had succeeded. Unfortunately, of late, this approach hasn't worked as there appears to have been a huge delay between pressing the post button and the post actually appearing.

If you guys need any help with this, please let me know and I'll do my best to assist.

Windows 10 PC. Google Chrome for browser.

When a post appears to fail what happens is the spinner image that shows the site is working appears in the top right corner and then just stays there. Eventually it times out and the page reloads, with my post reply still in the edit box.

When it's all working as it should, the same sequence of events occurs, but it's usually much quicker and the edit box is cleared.
(Yes I pinched this from above as the same happens to me and it was put a lot better than I would have put it..)

Hi staff :)

Details of my system....

Windows 7 64bit, fully up to date. Machine is an Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz with 16GB of RAM. Graphics card is an Nvidia GTX760 with I think 2GB of RAM.
Browser is typically Firefox 56.0 (32 bit version)
Sounds like a good gaming laptop does that .... :):D If i had that spec, I would get no work done and too distracted

I recently have found the text not appearing as I type.
Sometimes it just lags, other times it doesn’t appear at all.
Also frequently having the page reload due to a problem with the page.

Reply to Problems Posting - 25 chars in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock