Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Problems with easycert licence transfer in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Hi all, just a quick cry for help in case anyone has been in the same situation.
    My old PC went kaput lately so I have purchased a new laptop to keep me going and for on site use. I need to transfer the licence from my old copy of easycert to my new one on my new device as well as transfer the database.

This is usually a simple process apparently ... open easycert on old device.....backup datatbase and deregister........insert info into new copy of easycert on new device. But my old device is kaput and I can't do this. I have access to all the data and files on my old hard drive though.

Tysoft technical have asked me to pay for a years customer care and they will give me a new registration key for my new computer, but cannot guarantee that they will be able to do anything with transferring the database :anguished:
    This obviously has me a bit worried and I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any help before I do anything irreversible that may mean the loss of access to my old database. Any ideas ?

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Ouch ...

Not very helpful supplier .....

Do you not back up this data?

Do you not have the original registration number?

3. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Yes, it is all backed up in pdf format. This happens when I finalise a cert.
    The database is very useful though as it contains client information, my custom templates, and previous certs, all for use within the programme. It will be a time consuming pain in the proverbial to set up again.

4. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Have you made any backups of your database and templates?
    This would be in zip file and done from within the software itself.

5. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

Nope, I was unaware until now I could do this, and can't get into the old software now to do this.

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Your old pc may be kaput, but could the hard disc be read ?

Do you know any it geeks?

7. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I keep a pet geek in my under stairs cupboard, but they have been unable to help so far. The hard disc can indeed be read and all the info accessed, but the programme cannot be launched from it.

8. essex

essex Forum Mentor

Hence why cloud based software is the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

It doesn't protect you from issues at all. I have heard of problems with cloud based software on large scales. I know NICEIC had huge problems recently where none of their members could access the cert software.

10. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

If the hard disk can be read I'd get everything that relates to Easycert copied off it.

Given you will need a new license anyway, I'd pay that fee and see if they can assist you in what files you need to be looking for.

I'm not home until Sunday or would have a browse through my Easy Cert folders to try and see what relates to what.

11. essex

essex Forum Mentor

My complete business is in the cloud. NICEIC may go down but the data is secure and fully restored when sorted.

To just drop a laptop and loose everything for good is surely not a good position to be in.

12. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

13. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I haven't lost everything for good. All my data is double backed up on SSD drives to minimise the risk of drive failure. I back up regularly. All my customer data and finalised certificates are included in this backup.
    This thread is asking about the specific database used by my certificate software which was not backed up by me as I did not fully know the functionality of my certificate software.

Thanks for your input but I have no intentions of changing my business habits to cloud storage. Nothing is immune from failure or interference, and local storage of data is the way I prefer to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. essex

essex Forum Mentor

Of course, it is your business to keep in the dark ages.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
  15. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I thanked you for your ideas, however irrelevant to the thread, but if you are going to change tack to unhelpful insults then it's maybe best you don't comment further.

• Like Like x 1