Discuss Problems with other trades in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I guess I was off the tools too long and forgot how infuriating working with other trades can be.
Up til now I've been working on my own, little electrical jobs with just me and the client. Left to get on with it.
Last week I was in a house with joiners, plumbers and the plasterers and in the most they were ok guys.

Except whoever plasterboarded the ceilings and walls. I went in yesterday, no one else there, to find most of the lighting cables above the freshly plastered ceiling. And this was after i'd clipped them in position where the centre of the rooms were. Cue jumping up into the attic, walking over all the new insulation and hunting for the cables that were up to 3 feet away from where i'd left them. :mad:
Upstairs was easy compared to the 3 I had to find downstairs. Smallish hole made and carefully fishing around the void with a bent over piece of 4.0mm single. :mad::mad:

Someone also boarded over the TV point, and all the holes already made for extractor fans and cooker hood.
And why cant the plasterer run a knife round the inside of a backbox while the plaster is still wet? :mad::mad::mad:

I'll stick to working on my own.

I guess I was off the tools too long and forgot how infuriating working with other trades can be.
Up til now I've been working on my own, little electrical jobs with just me and the client. Left to get on with it.
Last week I was in a house with joiners, plumbers and the plasterers and in the most they were ok guys.

Except whoever plasterboarded the ceilings and walls. I went in yesterday, no one else there, to find most of the lighting cables above the freshly plastered ceiling. And this was after i'd clipped them in position where the centre of the rooms were. Cue jumping up into the attic, walking over all the new insulation and hunting for the cables that were up to 3 feet away from where i'd left them. :mad:
Upstairs was easy compared to the 3 I had to find downstairs. Smallish hole made and carefully fishing around the void with a bent over piece of 4.0mm single. :mad::mad:

Someone also boarded over the TV point, and all the holes already made for extractor fans and cooker hood.
And why cant the plasterer run a knife round the inside of a backbox while the plaster is still wet? :mad::mad::mad:

I'll stick to working on my own.
Because plasterers get paid for plastering say a ceiling, thats all they are worried about, couldn't give a flying ---k about wires in and out cash in pocket, ignorant some of them.

That happened to me recently,fitted all spots to ceiling,off scaffold,tested,no continuity,cable had been plaster boarded over,nightmare & time consuming.
Also screeder covered floor boxes ,& blocked conduits,again nightmare.

All respect to plasterers. I cant make a smooth wall.
My gripe is more with whoever boarded the ceilings and moved my cables. Agency monkey, I believe.
If i'd been there when the plaster was wet, i'd have cleaned the boxes myself.
Just having a weekend moan

You would get charged for making good. There is always one trade/person on site who is not a team player and then you get those trades who are pre-madonnas.
If that's the case the plasterers should be charged for the Electricians time for overcome,what is blatant lazyness by the plasterers, lack of respect pn their part in my book, --- for tat, I worked on a student accomodation once, extra plasterers came on site, cables tacked in position ready for chopping in, rather that wait, they chopped the cables off at floor level, who got the blame? you've guessed it yours truly.

If that's the case the plasterers should be charged for the Electricians time for overcome,what is blatant lazyness by the plasterers, lack of respect pn their part in my book, --- for tat, I worked on a student accomodation once, extra plasterers came on site, cables tacked in position ready for chopping in, rather that wait, they chopped the cables off at floor level, who got the blame? you've guessed it yours truly.
Nothings changed Pete always the sparks fault.

i had this on an extension i was on recently, the plasterer kept filling my channels i was using to route cables! there was no need for him to even be on site, there wasnt even windows in yet, i just kept taking out his patches and throwing them in the skip, he had filled a bunch of my other cutouts for backboxes too, idiots

If it was a plasterer and not a Dryliner who boarded the ceiling I would be shocked but if they did board it they shouldn't of as they are absolutely hopeless

Problem is they only have one brain cell. Job this morning gas fitter's pipes in contact with cables, afternoon can only get at the cu neutral bar with a stubby screwdriver because the plumber's pipes are run across the front, it just goes on & on.

You would get charged for making good. There is always one trade/person on site who is not a team player and then you get those trades who are pre-madonnas.

* Prima Donna, from the operatic term.

I've taken apart plenty of work done by plasterers that have deliberately sabotaged my work due to laziness or maliciousness on their part. I have always made sure that the customer understands why this has to be done and why the tradesman in question has not participated cooperatively in the job as a whole. I have always made sure that this exploratory work requires a repeat visit from said plasterer to make good, a lump hammer is best for this aspect of the situation, or in the case of ceilings, a claw hammer.
I have never been billed for making good due to the aforementioned exploratory work.

Reply to Problems with other trades in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock