• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Professional Advice needed Re. Condemned Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello Electricians

I'm after some general but professional advice, figured this forum would be a good place to ask and would really appreciate some help.

My ex-partner recently mentioned in conversation they had an electrician round to look at changing some light fittings for ascetic reasons.

The electrician advised them that the wiring had been condemned and the house needs rewiring, I believe it's due to the age of the house. I don't know much more than this but I believe that based on this the electrician wasn't willing to work on the light fittings. I'm going to try and find out more tomorrow.

This is my daughter's home and I'm now concerned for her safety. Really just want an idea of the sorts of risks there might be in a house where wiring has been condemned.

Initial thoughts are that safety standards have been improved over the years, maybe modern appliances now draw more power... Possible fire risks?

Do I really need to be worried? If somebody could just lay out the potential risks, maybe give examples of why wiring might get condemned due to age....

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated

Worried Louis

She did tell me but i'm going to have to get more info tomorrow.

Either the 60's or 70s, pretty sure it was the 60s.....

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm going to ask whether a report exists tomorrow...
there are 3 posibilities...
1. the wiring is old/dangerous and needs a rewire.
2. the property could benefit from some upgrading and a possible rewire.
3. some cowboy spark sees ££££s and descends to scaremongering.

only a site visit could determine the way forward. if you post a more precise location, one of us maybe close enough to have a gander.

there are 3 posibilities...
1. the wiring is old/dangerous and needs a rewire.
2. the property could benefit from some upgrading and a possible rewire.
3. some cowboy spark sees ££££s and descends to scaremongering.

only a site visit could determine the way forward. if you post a more precise location, one of us maybe close enough to have a gander.

What I do know is that the electrician who can to look at doing these fittings isn't the one who condemned the wiring.

I think they found something with a date on it, maybe attached to the breaker box or somewhere similar. I'll ask tomorrow but i'm pretty certain a report was done at least a couple of years ago.

What worried me is that I know the landlord and they don't like spending money at all....

The main issue with 1960 houses are:

Lack of earths in lighting circuits
Lack of metal back boxes for light switches
Lack of equipotential bonding
Lack of sockets
Too few circuits

The there are desirable latest requirements such as RCDs and metal fuse boards

Not having an earth in a lighting cable is not dangerous if only plastic switches and fittings are used ....

Sounds like somebody is scaremongering ...

Last edited by a moderator:
If as your post suggests it is a rented property there is a requirement to inspect the property every five years. So there should be an EICR extant with the Landlord. That is a safety certificate. If not and the Landlord does "not wish to spend money" then advise the local council the wiring has been condemned and discuss options. If you go and look take photos of the main switchgear and a few fittings and any wiring exposed if you can, and post them on here.

If as your post suggests it is a rented property there is a requirement to inspect the property every five years. So there should be an EICR extant with the Landlord. That is a safety certificate. If not and the Landlord does "not wish to spend money" then advise the local council the wiring has been condemned and discuss options. If you go and look take photos of the main switchgear and a few fittings and any wiring exposed if you can, and post them on here.

Thanks for the advice.

It's a private let, landlord is family friend and and I know 100% no EICR exists.

This is a 3 bed detached house

I'm not familiar with the definition for single occupancy
What I mean is it is not being rented to more than one person whereas an HMO ( House of Multiple Occuoancy) is. Strictly speaking the only legal requirement in your case is to maintain safe electrical systems and not necessarily an EICR.

What I mean is it is not being rented to more than one person whereas an HMO ( House of Multiple Occuoancy) is. Strictly speaking the only legal requirement in your case is to maintain safe electrical systems and not necessarily an EICR.

I'm with you, just looked it up.

Yes it's one family living there under one tenancy.

Thanks for the advice :)

Reply to Professional Advice needed Re. Condemned Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back