Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Professional Advice needed Re. Condemned Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. louislouis

louislouis EF Member

Hello Electricians

I'm after some general but professional advice, figured this forum would be a good place to ask and would really appreciate some help.

My ex-partner recently mentioned in conversation they had an electrician round to look at changing some light fittings for ascetic reasons.

The electrician advised them that the wiring had been condemned and the house needs rewiring, I believe it's due to the age of the house. I don't know much more than this but I believe that based on this the electrician wasn't willing to work on the light fittings. I'm going to try and find out more tomorrow.

This is my daughter's home and I'm now concerned for her safety. Really just want an idea of the sorts of risks there might be in a house where wiring has been condemned.

Initial thoughts are that safety standards have been improved over the years, maybe modern appliances now draw more power... Possible fire risks?

Do I really need to be worried? If somebody could just lay out the potential risks, maybe give examples of why wiring might get condemned due to age....

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated

Worried Louis

2. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

the possibly that some of the lighting circuits might have volcanized rubber cable or very old cables
    the only why is having a report done ,and then you will no what is wrong with the installation .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy-1960

Andy-1960 Electrician's Arms

How old is the property?

• Like Like x 1
  4. louislouis

louislouis EF Member

She did tell me but i'm going to have to get more info tomorrow.

Either the 60's or 70s, pretty sure it was the 60s.....

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm going to ask whether a report exists tomorrow...

5. South Spark

South Spark Regular EF Member

"Condemned" might be a bit strong .

I've had to explain to people that I can't fit the new metal light fitting acquired at great expense from Homebase because there's no earth in the lighting circuit a couple of times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

if it was 60s there a 50/50 chance it could be vulcanised rubber cable, in which case the electrician is most likely correct

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    there are 3 posibilities...
    1. the wiring is old/dangerous and needs a rewire.
    2. the property could benefit from some upgrading and a possible rewire.
    3. some cowboy spark sees ££££s and descends to scaremongering.

only a site visit could determine the way forward. if you post a more precise location, one of us maybe close enough to have a gander.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. louislouis

louislouis EF Member

What I do know is that the electrician who can to look at doing these fittings isn't the one who condemned the wiring.

I think they found something with a date on it, maybe attached to the breaker box or somewhere similar. I'll ask tomorrow but i'm pretty certain a report was done at least a couple of years ago.

What worried me is that I know the landlord and they don't like spending money at all....

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would say you are about 10 years out. 1950's ....

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yep, 60's heralded the introduction of beautiful pvc 7/029 stranded. far superior to the crap we use today. ( and in the right colours).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

The main issue with 1960 houses are:

Lack of earths in lighting circuits
    Lack of metal back boxes for light switches
    Lack of equipotential bonding
    Lack of sockets
    Too few circuits

The there are desirable latest requirements such as RCDs and metal fuse boards

Not having an earth in a lighting cable is not dangerous if only plastic switches and fittings are used ....

Sounds like somebody is scaremongering ...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  12. louislouis

louislouis EF Member

Thanks for having a look at this guys I'm going to get more info tomorrow.

13. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    If as your post suggests it is a rented property there is a requirement to inspect the property every five years. So there should be an EICR extant with the Landlord. That is a safety certificate. If not and the Landlord does "not wish to spend money" then advise the local council the wiring has been condemned and discuss options. If you go and look take photos of the main switchgear and a few fittings and any wiring exposed if you can, and post them on here.

14. louislouis

louislouis EF Member

Thanks for the advice.

It's a private let, landlord is family friend and and I know 100% no EICR exists.

15. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

A landlord of a single occupancy dwelling is legally obliged to ensure the electrical system is safe, this does not necessarily mean an EICR. HMOs are different where it is a legal requirement to undertake EICRs .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1