Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Professional indemnity insurance for PIRs/EICRs; a waste of money? in the Insurance for Electricians area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

?

Professional indemnity insurance for PIRs/EICRs?

1. I have PI insurance and have had a claim.

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I have PI insurance, but never claimed.

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I do PIRs/EICRs but don't have PI insurance.

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. I don't do PIRs/EICRs.

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. HandySparks

HandySparks Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    I'm not against insurance. I have £2M public liability and can see the need (flood someone's house, fire started by overheating cable joint, etc.). I have C&G 2391 and have done a couple of PIRs and intend to do more. When I renew my insurance, should I add professional indemnity (PI) insurance? Or is it one of those insurances that everyone says you should have, but no one's ever claimed on?

Various members have asked the question before, but I thought I'd try a poll. It's really for those who do domestic and small commercial work.

2. Guest123

Guest123 Guest

As long as you are confident & competent in what you are doing, you probably never will make a claim. Got to have it though.:army:

3. supasparxs

supasparxs Electrician's Arms

Hi Guys
    I feel that PI insurance is important,
    I used to do alot of work with a CCTV company, and when they design a system they require it incase the designers mess up.

in a similar way we are using our professional skill land experience to provide a professional opinion

I agree with Lenny when he says,

however as there is a sue and claim culture growing in this country, and this will only increase. again agreeing with Lenny,

Got to have it though.

I bet alot of people don't have PI insurance, and do they have the right amount of cover?

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

oops..................... think I selected the wrong button! Think I may have inadvertently said I've got PI insurance (which I have) but I haven't claimed!!!!!!

5. supasparxs

It's ok,
    I'll sue you on monday morning.
    how much PI cover do you carry?
    I want to make sure I don't undersue you :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. jase

jase Electrician's Arms

not gonna bother renewing my car insurance this year either, as i havent made a claim

• Like Like x 1
  7. HandySparks

HandySparks Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Yes, but what I'm trying to find out is has anyone EVER claimed (for PIR/EICR). ie, is it only the insurance company that gets any benefit out of the deal?

8. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

chnage your shower to 1mm cable and leave it on qnd go on holiday, i dont know anyone that has claimed but seems a must have... ive no insurance at all and still get customers but i will get for when i start periodic inspection and testing of installations

9. supasparxs

I've heard that you need 2 policies, the way you drive :)

10. merlinradioltd

merlinradioltd Active EF Member

I need a heads up on this one:- Do I need PI insurance on TOP of PL just to do PAT TESTING and nothing else....? If I need Personal Indemnity as a sole trader,how much cover level would be typical and what's a typical price. I don't have an issue with PL but given the usual hype with mis-selling by the banks/insurance, is this not another "PPI caper"...scare you into buying more insurance and they would have so many get out clauses anyway. My insurance is due in April...just don't know whether to add this or not and won't ask an insurance company as they will just want to up the ante, as that's the name of thier game.

11. SPARTYKUS

SPARTYKUS Electrician's Arms

It doesn't cost much to be honest. a couple of tenners or so added onto PL.

12. merlinradioltd

merlinradioltd Active EF Member

Yeah I suppose it might be worth it, any idea of what level needed just to do PAT?

13. grantr37

grantr37 Trainee Access

to do PAT was told should have minimum £2m +£250,000 legal expenses, as if you do PAT testing, and a place burns down through an unrelated piece of equipment that you never even seen/tested/touched......the insurers will go after you and it will be up to you to prove that it was not something you tested, or if you failed it and the customer put it back into use anyway, that it was not your fault....which could prove problematic with an insurer wanting to heel drag (that's what they have legal departments for, unfortunately testers do not....so you need expensive legal defence) it seems as though a lot of insurers do not even know what PAT testing is when you phone for a quote -even though many many people tell me they have been asked to get it done by their insurers, and when you phone it usually results in a 30+ minute drawn out pillar to post phonecall before being told that they are unwilling to insure (after asking all their managers who don't have much of a clue) or being offered limited scope insurance with several exclusions...

prices I have heard range from £250.00 for £2m insurance with £50k legal expenses/professional indemnity cover (about enough for 3 days in court) to £1,500 for only £1m with no legal cover....with some coming back with "no schools, no medical, no residential and no 3 phase hardware testing"......

Ask for Liability insurance for an Electrician for £2m + £50k legal cover and it will cost about £300 for the year, to add employers liability for up to 3 workers to that is about £100 extra...I wonder how much insurance is really enough these days considering how much damage can be done....

14. i=p/u

i=p/u Electrician's Arms

theres more paying it than claiming from it.. its a poo the bed

15. HandySparks

HandySparks Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Yes, and at present, the only "claim" in the poll results was a mistake. So, so far, the insurers get to keep 100% of the premium!