Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Professional indemnity insurance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. abid21

abid21 EF Member

Hi Every one
    I have till now certified my own work and issued the certs as required but now have a job that requires to certify third party work.
    I have inquired from NAPIT and they want a fee and also require Indemnity Insurance of £250K (minimum).Spoke to STORMA and the person told me that they do it as standard and if it is a Domestic work,then I do not need one and that the Public Liability Insurance is enough to cover Domestic work.
    Can anyone please clarify this situation for me and put my mind at rest.
    Thank you

2. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    If you are notifying work to building control and that work has only been overseen by you and not designed or installed by you then you are taking responsibility for the installation's compliance with the building regulations.
    Thereafter it depends on your attitude to risk and your capability to ensure compliance.
    Because you are making a professional statement of compliance then someone could claim that your statement is incorrect, in which case it would have been a good idea to have had professional indemnity insurance.
    You have to assess the likely risks to you of not having the insurance.

If you are registered with NAPIT and continue to be registered then you have to comply with their standards.
    If you are registered with Stroma then you comply with their standards.
    However having professional indemnity insurance is often considered a necessity for any area where you are providing your professional opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    I would add - the people to ask (and have confirmation in writing) is your insurance provider. Just a thought :)

4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I don't do 3rd party sign off , but I do EICR's and in this respect I chose to have PI insurance.

5. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    Totally agree with Murdoch, if doing EICRs or designing installations PI is a must.

6. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

The Stroma position is not not what you have said, perhaps you have misunderstood. Their position will be, you do not need a to be a member of a part P scheme to undertake EICR's but to have EICR covered under your membership with Stroma (at no extra charge) they require you to have suitable qualifications and hold £250k Pi insurance in addition to your 2M Pli before they will add it to your membership.

7. rolyberkin

rolyberkin Electrician's Arms

Sorry ignore my last I misread your post and thought you were talking about EICR's! Why would you want to sign someone elses work off? surely Pi must be an essential should you wish to do so?

8. abid21

abid21 EF Member

Thanks everyone for the reply.This has made things a lot clearer on what I need to do.:clapping::clapping:

9. jaydub

jaydub Regular EF Member

Can anyone recommend a good PI insurance provider? How much are people paying roughly?

10. Murdoch

^^ I would include it with your PL insurance .....

11. jaydub

jaydub Regular EF Member

I took out PL a few months ago for the first time and did not realise that I would need PI as well. The problem now being that my insurance provider does not provide PI for electricians...

12. Murdoch

Hum... You may need to do what I did and take out a new policy covering both, and cancel the original one.

Why do you think you need pi insurance?

13. jaydub

jaydub Regular EF Member

I was chatting to a few guys on here about carrying out EICR's. I haven't yet been asked to do any but should I get asked I don't want to turn them down and hence feel that I should have PI insurance. The thing is my current PL insurance is very well priced and does exactly what I need! I may wait and see until the renewal comes up and sort something out then...

• Like Like x 1
  14. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    I have both PL and PI insurance.

But..
    Has anyone here ever claimed on their professional indemnity insurance as an electrician?
    Or knows anyone who has ever made a claim?
    Or has heard of an electrician making a claim?

Or, maybe, it's just a way to improve the profits of the insurance companies? Is this particular type of insurance, in practice, a waste of money?