Discuss Profestional alarm install, mains supply 0.5mm2 flex into back of a socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

UKMeterman

-
Arms
Reaction score
20170806_152606_resized.jpg 20170806_152459_resized_edit - Copy.jpg Hi,
My parents have had a new alarm fitted. I visit and discover the work as shown below. I would suspect that BS7671 does not approve of 0.5mm2 flex being protected by a B type 32A breaker for short circuit proteciton. What is the best way to address this with the alarm company?20170806_152459_resized_edit - Copy.jpg

That is cr@p, and a fire hazard.

First of all, is that socket part of a ring final or is it alread a spur? If it is a spur then it is not permitted to run another spur from it.

Secondly, if is protected by a 32A MCB, then the cable to the FCU should be at least 2.5mm.

Tell the alarm company that the work done does not comply with the Wiring Regulations. Send them the photographs. If they do not respond, you can mention to them Trading Standards and the Watchdog programme. Maybe alarm companies have some sort of association who may be interested....I'm not in the alarm business.

First be certain it is 0.50, looks bigger to me. The minimum csa for connecting from a ring final is 1.5 providing conditions comply although it doesn't look that size.

My parents have had a new alarm fitted. I visit and discover the work as shown below. I would suspect that BS7671 does not approve of 0.5mm2 flex being protected by a B type 32A breaker for short circuit proteciton. What is the best way to address this with the alarm company
so you are quick to judge a alarm company.
why could you not have done a alarm for you parents .and save them monies.
or are you not up to the job on fitting alarms systems .

Last edited:
that's nothing. once came across a new buid estate. same alarm company had the contract with the builder for all the houses ( about 80 in total ). every one has the mains supply fed from the CU to the alarm panel ( no FCU ) in 6 core alarm cable. R/Y was L. B/BK was N, Gn/W was E. I slapped a blanket Danger notice on the lot. some had been sold and there were a lot of irate new owners.

I think the builder is the common denominator in those new builds, Tel and a number of other issues that blight our lives - they MUST be good for something surely!
Answers on a postcard please to. . . .

could write what's good about builders on the stamp. sod the postcard.

Not complicated is it. Contact the installing Co, ask for the Minor Works Cert. If they haven't got one, say you require one from a qualified electrician. If they don't respond positively by providing a cert ( having made the alteration comply if it doesn't already), then it's off to their governing body and Trading Standards
But you should give them the opportunity to put matters right first - only fair.

so you are quick to judge a alarm company.
why could you not have done a alarm for you parents .and save them monies.
or are you not up to the job on fitting alarms systems .

My parents live 180 miles away, and the insurance company wanted one fitted by an approved alarm company. So I didn't want to be part of a support contract involving urgent 400 mile round trips and I don't belong to an alarm trade body...

by the way, where is the trunking lid you took of the trunking
and why did you use tipex on the pic to rub the installs name out .
if you quick to judge their job.

1. The lid was absent on my arrival.
2. I wanted to check the facts before giving the company a public grilling, and it wasn't tipex, it is called Microsoft paint.

Reply to Profestional alarm install, mains supply 0.5mm2 flex into back of a socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net