Discuss Prospective fault current ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Can somebody please clear up for me what is prospective fault current?

Am i right in thinking its the value of overcurrent you get through fault conditions like short circuits
and live conductors and exposed conductive parts ?

Thanks

it's basically the current caused by shorting out L-N ( PSCC ) or L-E ( PEFC ). depends in the circuit impedance, the lower the impedance, the higher the current.

prospective short circuit current and prospective earth fault current. you find that these are approx the same if the E conductor is the same size as the L. with T/E cable though the cpc is smaller, so the pscc is larger in value than the pefc. this is because the smaller cpc has a higher resistance ( approx. 1.66 x ) than the L and N conductors.

There's a list of commonly used acronyms on here somewhere Martin, if you're going to be a regular visitor you'll need em mate.

prospective short circuit current and prospective earth fault current. you find that these are approx the same if the E conductor is the same size as the L. with T/E cable though the cpc is smaller, so the pscc is larger in value than the pefc. this is because the smaller cpc has a higher resistance ( approx. 1.66 x ) than the L and N conductors.

Thanks for the help very imformative and easily understandable

There's a list of commonly used acronyms on here somewhere Martin, if you're going to be a regular visitor you'll need em mate.

I have read a few articles and i have researched pfc online and i have come across prospective earth fault current and prospective short circuit current but just never 2 and 2 together with the acronyms, cheers for the help trev

martin, your besr research tool is the thread search on this forum. there's more electrical knowledge on here than wickedpaedophile and grandma's cat put together.

spelling error wikepedia.

Reply to Prospective fault current ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net