Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Protecting DNO equipment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Michaelwgroves

Michaelwgroves Electrician's Arms

A House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) officer inspecting a HMO for temporary accommodation has advised tenants might be tempted to play with DNO equipment as it's not in a locked cupboard.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, my view is nothing to do with me, DNO install this and deem it to be safe, therefore I should not touch anything.
    HMO officer suggesting locked cupboard, but surly you can't put a lock on DNO equipment, they need access? 20180629_164228828_iOS.jpg

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Trusted Advisor

At the very lest I'd bang a few clips in for those tails.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Think I might have been a bit more concerned with the electrician playing with the DNO equipment using a BS951 for the home made earth. So should the HMO inspector if he wants to play at being an electrician. Yes I agree DNO not my problem. Would not get involved.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

You can lock away DNO equipment.
    Yes they would require reasonable access.
    Either build a locked cupboard around the equipment or make the room containing the equipment secure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Depends on the nature of the tenants, the officer may be aware of this hence his recommendation. I have worked in plenty of these places and seen all walks of life in them. Most are happy to roll with life but a few just want to kick to pieces anything they have put in front of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michaelwgroves

I called DNO to replace head, they fitted earth clamp!

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

That is an old clamp.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. spinlondon

I take it the tails are entering some kind of wooden construction at the bottoms of the picture?

9. Michaelwgroves

Can I buy a metal box with no back I can simply put over install. I assume if I use meter seal DNO have full access and can reseal when they finish?

10. Michaelwgroves

I recall it was there originally, he refitted it. I asked if it was okay and he said "yes"

11. Michaelwgroves

PVC trunking

12. spinlondon

Long as it’s not metal.

13. snowhead

snowhead Trusted Advisor

As the meter has only been installed for 4 months someone should contact the energy supplier to put some clips on the cutout - meter tails.

If it's going to be boxed in it needs to have a triangle meter lock on it or the meter reader won't be able to get it (unless they've scrapped the compulsory 2 year reading/check as was being proposed recently).
    If it's secured with a triange meter lock then any fool could buy one, open the box, by pass the meter and close the box and no-one would know.
    If it's left uncovered everyone can see it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. LankyWill

LankyWill Guest

eddy currents on the tails entry as well.

15. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Call them back then it is not an accepted means of providing an earth and they will say it is not their earth if there are any problems in future. They should use the cupro phosphorous wrap around clip I think it is called.