Discuss protective bonding conductor size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

CFTIS

-
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've questioned something at my workplace and after receiving my answer I'm not overly convinced and would like some other experienced gods to chime in :)

On a new install in an existing property today I went to bond the Water and noticed it was already done, clearly many moons ago before we done the job.

The protective bonding conductor was 6mm, this is what I questioned as to my knowledge I believed it should've been a 10mm.

I was going to pull in a 10mm (probably a 2 hour job) but checked with my boss first, he said to speak to his business partner (my other boss) as he does all our testing and inspecting.

The property has a TNCS system and what I was taught was that the protective bonding conductors are to be sized according to the copper equivalent csa of the supply neutral conductor, So according to the values in Table 54.8 with the neutral having a 25mm csa it should be a 10mm bonding conductor.

My boss asked me if it was a new house, which I replied no.
He said 6mm was fine, it wouldn't fail a test it would only be an advisory.
He said 10mm would be preferred but it wasn't something you could tell the client they had to have done only mearly advise them.

thoughts?

This is that old 6.0 on TN-C-S scenario. The 15th Ed never quoted minimum sizes for this type of earthing system but to consult your supplier so when you do find 6.0 bonds you have no way of knowing if they were ever the correct size in the first place.

apply the adiabatic, having measured the PEFC. that will give min. sizeof main earthing conductor. bonding conductors need to be no less than 1/2 the size of the MEC. although 10mm is specified for pme systems, then it's would be a C3 in a EICR. tin hat on, ring crimps installed on my back boxes in a previous thread, beer on table, awaiting the flak.

apply the adiabatic, having measured the PEFC. that will give min. sizeof main earthing conductor. bonding conductors need to be no less than 1/2 the size of the MEC. although 10mm is specified for pme systems, then it's would be a C3 in a EICR. tin hat on, ring crimps installed on my back boxes in a previous thread, beer on table, awaiting the flak.

Where PME conditions apply, is it not selected via table 54.8?

Where PME conditions apply, the minimum CSA for both the earth and bonding conductors is 10mm2.

Where PME conditions do not apply the CSA of the Earth conductor should be determined by use of the adiabatic equation or by use of Table 54.7. The minimum CSA for the earth conductor is 2.5mm2 (where mechanically protected) or 4mm2 (where not mechanically protected). The minimum CSA for bonding conductors is 6mm2.

Reply to protective bonding conductor size in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock