Discuss Pull through then.???........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i would have told the customer before hand that id be chasing out their walls and removing the old conduit

chase out, strip out, re-wire, plate over the top of the chase and fixed, then let the plasterer have at it

nice and easy to pull down through in future, long as you make the chase deep enough to fit the cable + deep enough for the cover so that it can be plastered over

never actually had to re-wire in this manner before as only had 1 entirely brick house ive ever done, any kitchens etc that we did the stick cutters generally strapped the wall out for cable / pipe routing

cant see why it wouldnt work though

i would have told the customer before hand that id be chasing out their walls and removing the old conduit

chase out, strip out, re-wire, plate over the top of the chase and fixed, then let the plasterer have at it

nice and easy to pull down through in future, long as you make the chase deep enough to fit the cable + deep enough for the cover so that it can be plastered over

never actually had to re-wire in this manner before as only had 1 entirely brick house ive ever done, any kitchens etc that we did the stick cutters generally strapped the wall out for cable / pipe routing

cant see why it wouldnt work though
Really

Yes old wiring out new in, no need to destroy decoration if you don't need too, I take you have not done many occupied rewires.?
the time you will save by chasing out new routes than trying to pull through cables is going to be equal or better than equal, some of the decor is going to be disturbed anyways, id give them a discount for making my job easier in the long run if they agreed to do it my way

pulling cables through conduit is all well and good when you have accesss to the bends and through/end boxes

that said, i do try and not make mess where possible, some people will refuse to strap the walls out even a half inch because it makes the room smaller, id opt for strapping the walls out before anything else really

the time you will save by chasing out new routes than trying to pull through cables is going to be equal or better than equal, some of the decor is going to be disturbed anyways, id give them a discount for making my job easier in the long run if they agreed to do it my way

pulling cables through conduit is all well and good when you have accesss to the bends and through/end boxes

that said, i do try and not make mess where possible, some people will refuse to strap the walls out even a half inch because it makes the room smaller, id opt for strapping the walls out before anything else really
Sorry but LAZY

Elsparko, I will agree to disagree fella, it's a happy forum an I have had a few beers (hick), I took great pride in my domestic rewires, most of the time the disruption was zero.
i have next to no experience re-wiring full properties that are concrete, at most its kitchens and bathrooms, usually a charity has paid for it to be done , the people dont get much of a choice in the matter of the walls being strapped out for routing of cables

done plenty of lathe and plaster re-wires, they are a doddle to do without disrupting existing decor though, from ceiling to ground floor with a mouse on a string, not much that cant be achieved

newer builds are a different kettle though, more than likely there are dwangs in place every third of the wall and no gap behind, doing extensions on newer properties is a pain to not have to take out a patch, sometimes you will get lucky and be able to pull through existing holes if the guy that drilled them bothered to line them up

im just giving an opinion, not saying its right or wrong way

it depends on the job really, sometimes there is access, other times the ground and 1st floor are underfloor heating

i only take out a patch if it is the only way

I've done loads of occupied domestic rewires and I can say that pulling down existing conduits/capping/oval is 100 times quicker then sheeting up the owners furniture chopping out their walls dusting the house, bagging up the rubble etc.

I've never in my life had anyone do the chasing/strapping for me, always had to do it myself and I still always underestimate how long the tidy up take.

I've done loads of occupied domestic rewires and I can say that pulling down existing conduits/capping/oval is 100 times quicker then sheeting up the owners furniture chopping out their walls dusting the house, bagging up the rubble etc.

I've never in my life had anyone do the chasing/strapping for me, always had to do it myself and I still always underestimate how long the tidy up take.
Agree 100%

That pull could have been made easier if it was made into a straight pull through the metal box
A really tight pull could have seen the joint fail before getting that new one through

And,wearing those marigolds,it takes all the fun out of having a good laugh at your mates skinless knuckles when a tight pull suddenly gives

ive never been self employed so i do not know what that is like, i suppose concrete walls is common in tower blocks now that i think about it, solid floors and roofs too

on the new build flats ive done the floors and roofs are strapped out, cables in the roof, pipework in the floors for the most part

everyone has their own way of doing things that works for them, some guys strip T+e totally different to how i would do it but its what they are used to, showed an older guy how i just snip up the earth, grab it and pull it to strip and he was amazed how quick it was compared to a stanley/pocket knife

only kitchens and bathrooms would be strapped out, full rewires id try my best to do everything from the floorboards and roofspace/crawlspace, path of least resistance applies to more than just electricity

spanish guy i work with says in spain the houses are all done in conduit, but in singles and in a way that is easy enough to route cables through them in future

if the customer wants a new socket though youre going to have to chase the wall, so mess is sometimes unavoidable , most people tend to add on extra points when re-wiring since they have the option at not much extra cost

But is it though ? ( urban myth ) . I heard that the papermate pen was borne out of a competition in the u.s. that required someone to come up a biro that would work at zero gravity. The papermate was advertised as having a pump action that enabled the ink to flow even while writing upside down.

Reply to Pull through then.???........... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net