Discuss Pulling contactor on with a remote control light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you see any potential problems pulling a contractor on with a remote control light switch?

basically got a summerhouse that the customer wants to easily be able to isolate in a fancy way such as this and I said I do t see why not.

its a load of say up to 32A through a contractor etc.

i can only assume it would be fine and work ok.

has anyone else used a remote control light to pull a contractor on?

Re: Pulling contractor on with a remote control light switch

See no problem with this myself , have they thought about a wise box that can control several circuits from a remote control...

Wise box?

Yes was just thinking of a control circuit for the switch, and a contactor etc, nothing fancy, just looking for a fancy way to switch it.

I've just looked at wise boxes and various accessories snd it's not going to be very cheap, think I'll just stick with a standard remote light switch.

Hi,

Can you see any potential problems pulling a contractor on with a remote control light switch?

basically got a summerhouse that the customer wants to easily be able to isolate in a fancy way such as this and I said I do t see why not.

i'm starting to worry about you.

Its just a box that can control circuits thats all via a remote contra by a radio signal thats all , I have one thats 4 channel and controls 4 circuit , but a contactor as you suggest works fine for a single supply , I did consider this myself but in the end went for this to control different circuits , within the summerhouse and water features from the house ...

Just thinking, it's not going to be very obvious if its on or off if you use a remote switch, think I'll just go with a normal on off switch.

If you're running a supply from the dwelling to the summerhouse why not just run the whole supply through an appropriately rated isolator at the supply end in a convenient place for the customer - or have I got the wrong end of the stick ? :)

i'm starting to worry about you.

Go on.. Expand on that please. I've done nothing but ask if anyone else has done this and if you can see if there's any potential issues. I know exactly what I'm doing and how to do it before you or anyone else says otherwise, it was just a straight forward question really because it's not a straight forward light switch that's on or off and wondered if it would behave in a strange mannor shod I use one in this way, nothing more nothing less.

If you're running a supply from the dwelling to the summerhouse why not just run the whole supply through an appropriately rated isolator at the supply end in a convenient place for the customer - or have I got the wrong end of the stick ? :)

I will not as it's not going to be obvious if it's in of off using a remote control light switch as you have no kind of indication as such. I'll see if it's practical to mount a switch in the house, the garage sides on to it which is where it's being connected in, I'll just go with a bog standard rotary isolator.

Its just a box that can control circuits thats all via a remote contra by a radio signal thats all , I have one thats 4 channel and controls 4 circuit , but a contactor as you suggest works fine for a single supply , I did consider this myself but in the end went for this to control different circuits , within the summerhouse and water features from the house ...

Looks good, I'll keep a note of that for other projects, it's always handy to know about these things. It's not something I use in my day to day work.

I will not as it's not going to be obvious if it's in of off using a remote control light switch as you have no kind of indication as such. I'll see if it's practical to mount a switch in the house, the garage sides on to it which is where it's being connected in, I'll just go with a bog standard rotary isolator.

That's what I meant.

Go on.. Expand on that please. I've done nothing but ask if anyone else has done this and if you can see if there's any potential issues. I know exactly what I'm doing and how to do it before you or anyone else says otherwise, it was just a straight forward question really because it's not a straight forward light switch that's on or off and wondered if it would behave in a strange mannor shod I use one in this way, nothing more nothing less.

1 - he was making a joke about the fact you have written contractor instead of contactor. The joke is that you are actually asking about pulling a bloke rather than energising a contactor as you intended.

2- it's a switch, it makes and breaks a circuit, how not straight forward could it be?

Uk Tel was joking with you re read what you wrote about pulling a CONTRACTOR and maube loosen up a bit!!

EDIT* Dave beat me to it.

think you missed my point... about you wanting to be pulling a contractor. just visualising you chasing after a 6ft.4in. hairy-as888 builder.

I see that but in light of another thread I have decided to bite today, I'll say sorry to clear the air.

on a side note to this, pulling s contractor is not my thing lol

:blush5:

Hi,

Most circuits utilizing a contactor have the contactor energised via a remote switch of some sort, thermostat, humidistat, pressure switch so it's not a new thing, so yes I have used remote contactor control, most Sparkies will have used this method as well.

Reply to Pulling contactor on with a remote control light switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net