Discuss Pulling fuses in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Being a street light sparky for my local authority I had to do a 2 day course at Scottish Power which included a quite lengthy practical exam, then return for a 2hr interview with their h&s guy to prove i am competent to remove their fuses in our street light equipment. This gave me Erg39 authority from SP. unfortunately this only covers me for unmetered equipment, meaning I still have to break the law everytime i change a domestic DB !!! In fairness though they showed us some horrible pics of peoples hands etc after flash burns when they had replaced a fuse under fault conditions, potentially 16,000A does make me think twice !!!

I'd like to see hard evidence of actual prosecution even with smart meters.

Any prosecution for cutting tags if it could be proved would fail against the fundamental principle in European Law of protecting human life and European Law overwrites state law and certainly rules and regs from suppliers.

One guy has stated your far more likely to be prosecuted by the HSE for working live when there is an easy means of safe isolation. This is very true.

So in summary work safe!

Regards

Out of interest, why aren't Isolators fitted as standard, to prevent this problem and never ending debate ?

Surely it would be easier and safer for all, Sparks and householders if the supply could be isolated at the flick of a switch to allow work to be carried out safely, or to isolate supply in emergency situations

the DNOs are going to fit isolators to every property in the country, along with labels on their fuses stating exactly what type and rating they are. all free of charge. and i just seen a huge doodoo pig fly past my window.

Out of interest, why aren't Isolators fitted as standard, to prevent this problem and never ending debate ?

Surely it would be easier and safer for all, Sparks and householders if the supply could be isolated at the flick of a switch to allow work to be carried out safely, or to isolate supply in emergency situations

In case you haven't already realised, the 'Beancounters' have taken over most aspects of modern life. Therefore, anything that costs more than they can get away with will be avoided like the plague.

Couple that with severe myopia and you've got the situation we presently have. This is typified, as someone has said earlier, by the DNOs eschewing the opportunity to have an isolation facility incorporated in smart meters. Truly bonkers :shout:

Thankfully I operate in an SSE area where they hand out seals. Thank heavens for common sense, they realised they were over stretched some time ago and that has put an end to the issue. It just needs sorting out everywhere else now. I did some very risky live work in the past, I'm glad those days are over.

Just out of interest does anyone actually know of an actual prosecution or is it just industry rumour?
I've even heard a sparks say he tells the client to put the tags because he can't work if they're on. Industry does appear to be going mad!

People do get very worked up about this subject, and for no good reason. There are a lot of rumours, guesses and plain old BS running about this. It comes down to two things, the DNOs won't get involved because it will cost them, so the sparky working on the installation must deal with the situation.

There are two ways to do that:-

1) Spend ages on the phone talking to Mr or Mrs Don't-know, after sometime you may get passed through to Mr or Mrs Don't-care. If you persevere and resist the temptation to issue death threats or launch the phone into orbit you may get an appointment booked for some weeks hence.

2) Cut the seals off if they are present and look at the fuse carrier. Using your judgement and experience* decide if it's safe to pull.
a)If it is pull all fuses, switch off MCBs, RCDs and the main switch. Then get your gloves on and a face sheild(not compulsory, but definately a good idea) pull the fuse, do the work(including a DP isolator if you want to be nice to future sparks), replace the fuse fit new seals, and get on with your life.
b) If it looks insecure, cracked, crumbly or dodgy contact the DNOs emergency line and tell them that there's a burning smell coming from the fuse/service head. When they turn up to sort that out ask them to fit a DP isolator which you just happen to have handy.

* If you don't have the knowledge or experience to judge the fuse condition don't cut the seals. Your prize for showing good sense will be in two parts. Firstly you potentially get to live a bit longer and/or avoid looking like Freddy Kruger for the rest of your life. Secondly you get to experience the joys of a telephone conversation with a DNO customer 'help' line.

I am quite happy to state on an open forum that I have removed DNO seals and fuses, and that I will continue to do so. I always fit new seals when I'm done, and I always contact the DNO if the carrier looks like it's going to give trouble. If any DNO wishes to challenge my decision to save them money, and avoid working live then kiss my, er, I mean, please feel free to contact me with a court date if you can find a solicitor stupid enough to challenge HASAW and ESR along with European law, and common sense.

Imago

Excellent summary of the situation and total common sense.

I agree. We should copy & paste that and when next week somebody else starts a thread about pulling the main fuse - which they will - all we need do is post Imago's excellent comment.

We can do exactly the same the following week, and the week after that ...............

one problem, as i see it, is that if you are fitting new tails, these entail cutting the meter seals, which is a different teapot of prawns. suppliers get a bit touchy, thinking electrons have been pinched. what's everone's thoughts on this?

one problem, as i see it, is that if you are fitting new tails, these entail cutting the meter seals, which is a different teapot of prawns. suppliers get a bit touchy, thinking electrons have been pinched. what's everone's thoughts on this?

Cutting fuse seals is an everyday occurance. Meter fitters expect it, suppliers expect it, and sparks see it as their place to be doing it. Quite right too.
If you really wanna get someone's knickers in a bunch though, cut the meter seals. I really don't ever do it.

Reply to Pulling fuses in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net