Discuss Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've heard that if you are a cunning sort and cut the seal with a little consideration it's often possible to re-instate it so that you could never tell it was cut. So I'm told anyway.

Had a cut out change by DNO and said tongue in cheek, well how am I going to take those double tails out of the meter when I change from two DBs' to one ??
Thats alright we'll leave the seals out. I said great thanks.
They then said... we did not have this conversation ok ?
What conversation says I

Tut Tut, you are all naughty boys, when in doubt call the A-Team.

Attachments

• sh_pdf_isolation_switch.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 40
At a cu we were changing.. the supply company had put the neighbours electrics in the top of the main fuse (which were cracked and totally *uggered), but suppliers refused to accept they would ever do that, so we ended up disconnecting a nice old lady's electrics.. the council sparks came out for her and gave us all hell, shouting that we shouldnt ever EVER pull the main fuse. finally the suppliers came out and bodged the mains cables, we were able to reconnect the fuse and send the nice council men on their way. weird afternoon..

I used to pull the bullet, in me day with the old lead seals it was easy cut them tight an open the seal just nip them up with your pliers. God I should not be saying that. lol

I have had it said to me many times before by the DNO guys, the most recent being Monday. "We're not really bothered about seal cutting, it's the meter companies that are"
Stands to reason really. Offer possible evidence of tampering and you should expect a talking to. Offer none and nobody except jobsworths will bat an eyelid.

Crack on lads, there's work to be done.

I pulled a main fuse once, I hadn't noticed but the cut out had been damaged at some stage so a big chunk of plastic came away with it. I rang the DNO to let them know, then carried on with the CU change as I didn't want to lose the day.
When they turned up they didn't bat an eyelid, they replaced the cut out and even asked me what size fuse I wanted in there. They then left it on the side for me to put back in once I had finished the CU.

I've been doing the same as video doctor for over 20 years. Give them call tell them it was in a dangerous condition and that I had to cut the seal and remove the cut-out fuse.
Now I send them an email. Job done, ever had a problem with them ever. In fact Scottish power replied once thanking me.
North West, British gas, never had any problems.

I pulled a main fuse once, I hadn't noticed but the cut out had been damaged at some stage so a big chunk of plastic came away with it. I rang the DNO to let them know, then carried on with the CU change as I didn't want to lose the day.
When they turned up they didn't bat an eyelid, they replaced the cut out and even asked me what size fuse I wanted in there. They then left it on the side for me to put back in once I had finished the CU.

Further to this comment, and seemingly contrary to my last one, I have seen fuses which have suffered heat damage through fault to the point where the insulating exterior had completely crumbled away.

Be sure what you are pulling if you are pulling anything.

I might add that this was not in a single phase domestic system, although I have encountered faulty and overheated fuses in these too, but not to the same extent.

I don't see why I should try and hide the fact I need to remove a fuse (to carry out safe isolation) to do a job. Removing the fuse argument aside, I'm doing a job that's fully legal, why should we hide or jump thru hoops todo so. My DNO has a sensible practible approach, about time the others followed suit.
Gas meters got an isolating value, has so for years. Bout time electric companies followed their lead.

I voted for the last option, but I don't think SSE cover the whole of the U.K
Why not contact your local DNO, if that's your main area of work, and ask their policy?

Well I thought this had been done to death but seems people still had a lot to get off their chest. Interesting poll result, but not shocked by it. I suppose the poll options I forgot to add were PPE when pulling the fuse - who wears it, who doesn't? If you do, what do you wear?

The fact that people pull fuses on a nod from some admin girl at the end of a phone doesn't make it right. Unless there is a written down agreement or process between a supplier/dno I wouldn't pull the fuse unless some other factor made it dangerous not to do so. I just call the supplier and get a isolator put in. This should be addressed by the IET. To my mind the most relevant post here so far is hightowers comment about PPE, no one expects or plans to have an accident yet they still happen. I bet that most people who pull fuses don't wear suitable gloves or a face shield like they should do? Again the argument will be well the DNO/Supplier come out and they don't bother wearing PPE......in 99.99% of cases there will be no issue but on that 00.01% of cases where the fuse holder crumbles in your hand or there is an issue then at least you have the proper protection.

Reply to Pulling the Main Fuse (Poll) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net