Discuss Pulling the main fuse :/ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

liambaker996

Hi guys i have been asked to change a consumer unit.
I have been told that pulling the fuse is not illegal as the Yorkshire Electricity Board just don't have the men to come out and pull everybody fuses who need it doing anymore.
i know this may cause debate and i will get the answer of "it was already off when you arrived" which yes it probably will be ;)
just wondered if anybody had any conformation on this as all the other threads seem to be from a year to 3 ago.
Liam

Ring them and ask?
Have you done it before? Have you seen it done?
If not, then I wouldnt even attempt it.
What safety measures will you have in place when / if you do it?

Ring them, and ask them to do it for you. Most DNOs dont charge for this now, and will fit an isolator for you if you supply the parts.

there is always a little sweet spot in the middle between legal and illegal :)

The bottom line is you should not be pulling the main fuse out of the cut out.Ring the energy supplier to fit a double pole isolator between cut out and cu,some charge some don't.

If it is safe to do so then it is NOT illegal to pull the main fuse! Only illegal to cut the seals. No seals no crime.

Take note of the critical part of that sentence 'If it is safe to do so'!

I always get customer to arrange with DNO or Billing Company to fit double pole isolation switch before CU change. Quite a difference in lead-in times & prices : 4 days to 21 days! Free to £87!

if you belong to NICEIC, SSE (down this neck of the woods anyway) say you can cut the seal yourself and ring them when you're finished to re seal. Why aren't they all as simple as that?

When you ring them arrange a day your there they don't turn up so its seals cut do the job , I am now putting the isolators every time I have to do this and I re seal , this is where those nice little people in blue vans have the advantage they have the seals and guns that stamp BG on them nice eh and were not to do it it wrong

If it is safe to do so then it is NOT illegal to pull the main fuse! Only illegal to cut the seals. No seals no crime.

I'm going to change a board on Friday for a mate,small shop,now I noticed there was a seal in place but I had a quiet word with it and it assures me it will have moved on by Friday,all it takes is a little politeness lol:seeya:

wrong you need mocopa certificate to pull main fuse out of cut out or do any work their.

I'm going to change a board on Friday for a mate,small shop,now I noticed there was a seal in place but I had a quiet word with it and it assures me it will have moved on by Friday,all it takes is a little politeness lol:seeya:

last seal i found was served with an eviction notice and court injunction........
issued by a set of ck snips
;-)

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am now retired and many years ago worked as a DI. I have been reading a post regards main fuses from back in 2010 where D Skelton had an input. I see you are involved in this discussion Mr Skelton and I agree that to pull a fuse is not illegal. I worked in Hackney and it would be hard to find a seal intact anywhere. Mind you back then no one cared about such things.
The question I would like answered is when pulling a main fuse with an economy 7 clock installed does this affect the clock etc, as I am not aware these can be set by an DI.

Reply to Pulling the main fuse :/ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock