Discuss pulling the main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening Gents and Ladies hope all are well, just wondering if anyone can give me advice on where I could attend a training course to be qualified and authorised to remove cut out fuses. I did one many moons ago as an apprentice with the local council when I worked there, we went to Hoy Lake the old Man Web training centre, but I can't find any info out about courses now.
Any guidance will be appreciated, thank you.

Why do a course?

If You are perfectly competent to pull any other type other type of fuse then this is no different.

Safety aspect really, when I did the course at Hoy Lake they showed you what could go wrong such as the main fuse carry snapping in two and you touching the exposed live terminal. Also the insurance side of it, can we pull main fuses? I was always under the impression the supplier had to come out to pull the fuse?

You won't find a course unless you work for a pulpy company or DNO I would imagine. You are not meant to pull them out anyway, so I am not going to give you any advice on the subject.

You won't find a course unless you work for a pulpy company or DNO I would imagine. You are not meant to pull them out anyway, so I am not going to give you any advice on the subject.

I know we're not meant to that's why I went on a course years ago to allow us to pull the fuses, but why can't we pull the main fuse if we go on a training course, we're electricians and the amount of time saved than waiting around for the electric board to come out and do it would make a big difference.

Safety aspect really, when I did the course at Hoy Lake they showed you what could go wrong such as the main fuse carry snapping in two and you touching the exposed live terminal.

well you should know all that info anyway being a spark. If in doubt get a spark who knows what they are doing to come and do it for you.

I can do it dilb and have been for years, I was doing it for the local council installing main isolators in council properties , just wondering if there was a course I could go on as a refresher. Think it was a G39 fuse pulling course run by ManWeb

Safety aspect really, when I did the course at Hoy Lake they showed you what could go wrong such as the main fuse carry snapping in two and you touching the exposed live terminal. Also the insurance side of it, can we pull main fuses? I was always under the impression the supplier had to come out to pull the fuse?
listen:

theres much crap spoken about pulling bullits...

if you need to isolate for say board change then pull the bullit by all means.
Just never pull/reinstate under load.....and pay particular attention to the condition (especially old pot type fuse carriers)

I can do it dilb and have been for years, I was doing it for the local council installing main isolators in council properties , just wondering if there was a course I could go on as a refresher. Think it was a G39 fuse pulling course run by ManWeb

Well use Google and look for it and stop wasting peoples time.

he`s more likely to get common sense from watching it being done by a practicing electrician....than in some `booth` someware....

mind you.....

Like I said in previous posts I've done on numerous occasions and went on a course at ManWeb many years ago, I just want to go on a course and have the certificate to prove I can do it safely and qualified to do so.

Reply to pulling the main fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net