Discuss Pulsacoil 2000 no hot water in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hey guys
I have got to look at fault with a Pulsacoil 2000 pc185 model.
The faults appears to be that the immersion heaters are both working but no hot water through the taps.
I have being told they are getting 95v to the pump both L-N and L-E. Has anyone come across this issue and followed a fault process to eliminate the issue.
I’m wondering weather it’s either one of the sensors/PCB/pump
Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,if he was any kind of heating engineer...he could have fault-found very easily,at least limiting the options.

There are possibly,three separate electric feeds,to that unit,which means three sets of isolating,before getting elbow-deep.

Most common problems are non operation of pump on primary,and the reasons for this are limited to a handful of options.

Is there any more information you can give us...excluding a plumber being "on holiday " ;)

It’s a good point haha it’s through a letting agent and I think his expertise don’t expand towards heating faults- it’s not a system I’m familiar with to be honest but have read up on the system and different faults and they highlight towards either the pcb or the wet sensor. However I’m not going to guess so would rather know a process to get to the issue. I may no more when I attend but would like to go with process in mind.

The system uses a pump speed control board and various sensors.

Pump flings primary water round plate exchanger,when signalled,amount is proportional to required DHW. Working immersions=hot primary,after which,cold DHW= pump stuck/faulty or sensor inop or blockage or control board or wiring or similar.

I did not mention the isolation for no reason,i have seen these with all three feeds taken from one source,or properly,from three. It is worth remembering,when your head is stuck in it,as one individual i know,found to his cost,as the 2-4pm low rate tariff kicked in with loud "clang"...

You can ring Gledhill for technical advice,but i have the feeling they operate a "spin-the-bottle" method of selecting a technical adviser.

In the past,the pointy end of my bottle spin,come to rest whilst pointing at Bob,from packaging...who did a lot of weed in his youth...

There’s an LED on the main PCB which flashes various fault codes, if you search online you’ll find the service manual for it and be able to decipher the fault code to see what might be wrong with it.
However in my experience there’s often another problem which doesn’t become clear until the first fault is fixed.

Getting odd voltages at the pump may be a red herring as it does vary the speed of the pump in normal operation.

If the pump is variable speed it might use PWM supply to the pump in which case your tester may not be able to interpret the waveform and give misleading readings.

I have to go look at one of these on Monday, do you have a link to the error codes?
I normally pass these over to one particular local plumber, but he seems to of vanished, so I will have to fault find and get another plumber to do any wet bits.
(desribed fault is hot water working intermittantly)

Reply to Pulsacoil 2000 no hot water in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net