Discuss Pump running indicator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
I have a submersible pump in a small well under my floorboards. Access to the pump area is very difficult but after making many improvements to drainage etc. I now need to know if it ever switches on. I have access to the electrical feed for the pump is there any simple device i can fit to this cable to show the pump has turned on?
Any help appreciated
Dave

use a clamp meter on the L conductor.

Do you want an indicator which shows that the pump has switched on, for a while recently...
Or an indicator that shows the pump is actually running?

Do you want an indicator which shows that the pump has switched on, for a while recently...
Or an indicator that shows the pump is actually running?
how do you cope with the bilge pumps, apart from seeing the mucky water and bits of dead rats spurting out above the waterline?

Ah! Good question! I don't use electric bilge pumps, I use engine driven, bronze centrifugal pumps. I know when they are running cos the whole boat shivers its timbers as they mash up the bilge detritus, and I know when they have been running cos of the filthy slurry trailing in the wake of the good ship Venus!

so the old knackered diesel smoker breaks down and the ship sinks.

No, no! I have a big ol' steam genny for hoisting the sails, and that can run them pumps too!
...plus loads of delightful crew members with buckets!

There's a few ebay items which will give you a wee LED indicator of activity, so worth a look Dave. Mount the sensor at the control, and the LED in a little box somewhere you will see it often, maybe by the fridge?

Where does it pump to? Is it possible to go low tech amd stick the end in a bucket amd see if it fills up? If not, the kwh meter mentioned above might be the easiest, does the motor have a 13A plug? You can get plug in energy monitors quite cheap.

Reply to Pump running indicator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock