Discuss Push fit junction box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was just wondering what you guys and girls use as junction boxes for installing downlights. I have used wago lightbox's along with Scolmore click connector blocks but was hoping there was something that kinda combined the two. I love the 2 part design of the Scolmore but hate the screw terminals.

Any recommendations???

Thanks in advance.

M

I don't think I will be going back to using the wago lighting boxes again. Have done so plenty of times in the past, but it is so slow and laborious. Use lights which have inbuilt loop out terminals instead. There are loads of brands out there now. The Enlite E5's are a decent cheap option.

The debox SL is not too bad I have not used them much but no real problems except for them looking like a choc box! 16A, four cables, apparent maintenance free.
You can wire the screw less terminal block and then fit it into the enclosure, not a plug in like the click scolmore ones but OK to use.
The basic Debox just has screw terminals.

The client does not want to rewire and wants minimal disruption. So I will be using class 2 accessories.

So decline the job, the client not wanting the job done properly does not excuse you from complying with the regulations.
Unless you have managed to design this alteration to the circuit in full compliance with the requirements for double or reinforced insulation then you're putting yourself in a very dubious position. I don't see how you can comply with 412.1.3 in a domestic installation.

The alterations or extensions which you make to an existing installation must comply with the current regulations.

So decline the job, the client not wanting the job done properly does not excuse you from complying with the regulations.
Unless you have managed to design this alteration to the circuit in full compliance with the requirements for double or reinforced insulation then you're putting yourself in a very dubious position. I don't see how you can comply with 412.1.3 in a domestic installation.

The alterations or extensions which you make to an existing installation must comply with the current regulations.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The downlights will be class 2 and therefor double insulated and I will only be using plastic switches. To be honest I was not sure about this, so called NICEIC technical to clarify and they said that was I was proposing was fine as long as all accessories are class 2.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. The downlights will be class 2 and therefor double insulated and I will only be using plastic switches. To be honest I was not sure about this, so called NICEIC technical to clarify and they said that was I was proposing was fine as long as all accessories are class 2.

Have you read what bs7671 has to say on the subject? A phone call with NICEIC does not overrule bs7617, and unless you have it in writing from them then they will deny having given that advice. The NICEIC aren't signing the certificate for the job and are not accepting the liability for it, you are, it is your neck on the line if a fault occurs and someone is injured or killed.

So the lights are class 2 and the switches made of plastic, but what about the cable? T&E is insulated and sheathed, not double insulated, so what cable are you using?
412.1.3 states that the protective measure of double insulation shall not be applied where a user may change items of equipment without authorisation.

How are you going to prevent your customer from changing the switches or lights further down the line?

It's one thing changing light fittings on an existing 'earthless' circuit but, as Davesparks says, it's a different ball game if you are adding extra wiring/lighting points to such a circuit.

Reply to Push fit junction box in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net