Discuss Putting in seperate 1 way boards. Pod Points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MrTrance

Hi all,

I work for a firm who are getting busy with the solar pv and will soon be getting busy with the pod point installation (ev charging domestic).

My gaffer (who is not an electrician) wants a new 1 way board putting in on every job, no questions asked. Even if the existing board is 17th edition with spare ways. Every job I get a henley block and a few meter of tails & earth. I go to every job blind and as you all know, no job is the same.

For example whats the best way of putting in a sub board if the meter is in its box outside and fuseboard is opposite at high level in a very nice kitchen on show. How on earth can I get to the tails which are in the cavity, what would you all do? Also it means pulling the main cut out fuse which i'm sure is illegal?

Also do any of you lot install these pod points, Iv heard different opinions on how they need protecting, is it with a D type mcb? Any info on the pod points would be useful. We will be installation them pretty soon.

Many thanks

My gaffer (who is not an electrician) wants a new 1 way board putting in on every job, no questions asked. Even if the existing board is 17th edition with spare ways. Every job I get a henley block and a few meter of tails & earth.

From a business perspective, I can sort of see the logic, no need to even look at the existing board(s) or worry about having the right brand of MCB etc., you just carry the Henleys and the tails. Even if in a lot of cases it will be a bit of a daft way to do it. You might want to check with your gaffer if you're expected to put the sub-board in the meter box in the example you mention.

The other thing is if a dual RCD board is fitted or RCD main switch , and no way of installing without RCD protection , If RCD trips for any reason within the house there would still be a feed from the solar panel set up to the circuits fed by the RCD

Take an isolator with you (along with his other bits of junk)there should be enough on the tails to fit this isolator and it will peserve one means of isolation

Feed your 1-way board and existing from the Henley blocks which are fed by that isolator,then let any concerns about permission to use that box (to fit your gear) lie with the plonker who makes these demands

The other thing is if a dual RCD board is fitted or RCD main switch , and no way of installing without RCD protection , If RCD trips for any reason within the house there would still be a feed from the solar panel set up to the circuits fed by the RCD

Wrong.

If there is no voltage on the ac side the inverter will power off and no power will flow from inverter to ccu

Wrong.

If there is no voltage on the ac side the inverter will power off and no power will flow from inverter to ccu
This situation arose on A job I did and it did still give a supply I was there when it happened,,,I spoke to the company that installed it and yes it was supposed to do that but was faulty, they went back and replaced it though , but still a s the guy said this can happen ,,,,,So Right

This situation arose on A job I did and it did still give a supply I was there when it happened,,,I spoke to the company that installed it and yes it was supposed to do that but was faulty, they went back and replaced it though , but still a s the guy said this can happen ,,,,,So Right

Of course it can happen the same as the contacts can weld themselfs open on an mcb or mainswitch

Personally I wouldn't expect it on a quality inverter from a goodbrand.

If the inverter is designed to still output when the grid is offline then a changeover switch or similar would be needed

Otherwise it should not be connected to the grid as it wont receive fit rate anyway as it doesnt meet the necessary standards

I was surprised myself as well , the system had been in few years , The guy said its happened a few times , and would recommend they are installed on its own in a high integrity board separate from the RCDs or on its own board , the new one he installed i noticed that was still connected the same way gave out of range readings on the RCD test , to get good readings I had to switch of the MCB to the solar system .

Am I allowed to put my equipment in the existing meter cupboard? Any yes I do check the bonding to water / gas and install if needs be.

Yes it will, but, it is allowed to generate for 5 seconds after loss of mains.
Too long if the RCD trips because someone is having a shock, in fact long enough to kill them.
Not a situation I would put myself in.

Wouldnt matter then would it.

Or do you put rcd local to inverter as well?

Ac or alternating current would still flow through them until the inverter shuts off if what you are saying is true.

Otherwise why would they have banned fuse neutrels in domestic for example?

Why don't you use swa for the ac side then?

I don't quit follow your thinking.
5 seconds of a shock is easily enough to kill.
if you are not worried about your installs killing someone then on your head.
Basically, you DO NOT feed into an installation downstream of any RCD, then no issue.
Just comply with the regs & other requirements and sorted.
No need for an RCD at the inverter.
I don't follow your bringing in fused neutrals, and SWA, SWA MAY well be required from the inverter to the point of connection to the DNO supply.

I don't quit follow your thinking.
5 seconds of a shock is easily enough to kill.
if you are not worried about your installs killing someone then on your head.
Basically, you DO NOT feed into an installation downstream of any RCD, then no issue.
Just comply with the regs & other requirements and sorted.
No need for an RCD at the inverter.
I don't follow your bringing in fused neutrals, and SWA, SWA MAY well be required from the inverter to the point of connection to the DNO supply.

What im saying is.

An inverter is classed as another power supply to the board.

If your being fussy saying it will still output v for 5 secs after powercut then do whatever the hell you like.

Because the downstream protection wont stop that v going to it for 5 secs is how you described it.

External box is meant only for cut out and supply meter, BUT I have seen cu micro generation switch gear etc. lol

Look, if you feed in upstream of an RCD, and this RCD reacts to a householder getting a shock, the RCD disconnects in, hopefully a suitable time, thus no supply to point of fault.
IF you feed in downstream, then the RCD may well trip when the householder gets the shock in a suitable time, but the solar inverter can carry on supplying power for up to 5 seconds, easily enough to kill.

Now if you are happy installing a system that is capable of killing, and, you are happy circumventing the safety of the existing install then fine, it seems that you are happy to leave lethal installations that are capable of easily killing people and you are not bothered, me I would rather not.

I think most Micro generation companies tend to install on their own units for the reasons mentioned , With the 1 that I came across then I had to move the MCB to other side of RCDs and convert the board with some additional bus bar to become a high integrity board , fortunately the neutrals before the RCD were on their own neutral bar , But I only found the original problem on an EICR ,

Reply to Putting in seperate 1 way boards. Pod Points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock