Discuss PV non MCS wow. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am undertaking EICR at a sprawling domestic over a house and several barns/guest suites, which is knee deep in C2 and C1 observations.

I have here a ground-mounted PV install without any documentation, not an MCS install, and (I just spoke to DNO), they have no record of it on G59 or G83 and rightly say it needs to be disconnected until then.
It's about 5 KWP, but had little time yet to check further. Two arrays of 10 panels ground mounted South with 2 inverters SRP Australia SR4200TL. Inverters mounted on the frames (which are wood).
TT system, nearest earth stake is about 40M away at the board they feed into via 40A RCBO. (& sub-main to that board itself doesn't meet ADS).
There is no export meter and main meter is disc-style (I suspect the old going-backwards type which may well be it's raison d'ĂŞtre.. but haven't checked).
AC export/supply cables are unprotected blue "Arctic " flex, thrown into the soil and semi/entirely submerged on unknown route. There is a AC isolator on the wall of a barn about 15 M away and thereafter 10mm T&E thrown onto the floor of a barn back to the CU.
No labelling of anything anywhere, no diagrams, no warnings.

Give it to me..

I suppose it depends on what you were contracted to do? If it was to carry out an EICR then that's what you do to the best of your professional ability. After it fails with all the various problems it's then up to the owner to decide on the next course of action.

Well the owner is using the whole area for paying guests as part of B&B. She needs "satisfactory" on an EICR yet has has a load of dodgy unregistered installation works done by builders, so wants all C1 and C2 cleared before I issue the cert.
I have explained that all I can do is an EICR on what I can physically inspect and test, (not an EIC), and to put right all the C1 and C2 faults. If Building control is happy with an EICR for completion, (and not an EIC), then that's their decision. Owner thinks they will be.

Sounds like years of rubbish to be identified and cleared out. Make sure they understand that and ask to approach it in stages, each invoiced. The report first and then the fixes in a couple of stages perhaps?

Well the owner is getting a rather large bill from yourself or another contractor to bring all that lot up to standard and comply with the regs.. If building control knew the full extent I suspect they would be jumping up and down with glee as they do like a big case now and then to make an example of to fill the coffers of the state.
Rather you than me as i would be very wary about putting my name to any certificate or report with loads of issues.

Reply to PV non MCS wow. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net