Discuss Pv on rcd in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys doing a solar iboost as a subby the other day and noticed that the Pv supply had been connected to a shared RCD, situation was TT supply feeding 2 dbs at the origin each with a 30mA main switch RCD.
I was always under the impression that this was incorrect but read through the Dti guide briefly and couldn't find a mention but did find a NIC ? best practise guide saying that a shared double rcd is ok as it will disconnect line and neutral in a fault, but a single pole RCBO won't so can't be used ?

Just before I go back to my client looking like a cock [emoji23]
Cheers

One of the problems with the majority of RCDs (types A & AC), is that they are no good for d.c. current.
Have to be type B.
Not sure that there would be a problem using a single pole device with d.c. as long as it's the positive being switched?

What make model of inverter? It makes a difference to the answer.

I know nothing about PV but have just been reading about this in PE.
It's because in the event of an earth fault on a final circuit THE RCD will remove the mains supply but the Invertor will continue to supply voltage to the shared bus bar until it is shut down this could take a few seconds - well over the disconnection time of the RCD.

Last edited:
Hi,

i put my PV on an RCBO! Works fine.

i couldn't not due to the routing of the cable.

Which end of the cable did you put the rcd?
Bearing in mind that there is a source of supply at both ends of the cable.
Or does a PV system disconnect within milliseconds of the supply going off?

This is a genuine question I have never yet got an answer to

Well I have no idea, I connected it on an rcbo's in the main board, not the PV end.

i don't see what else I can do, it's a grey area I think, I don't know what the answer is either.

i would imagine that the inverter disconnects under a certain time to comply would it not?

Surely having an RCBO on it is going to be better than just having an MCB?

Not if the rcbo doesn't provide any protection. I would say that fitting rcbo protection would be worse than an MCB as it would make it appear to have RCD protection when in fact it won't work, plus of course it makes the person who installed it look like they don't know what they are doing and don't understand what they are doing.

The rcbo will detect a 30mA electric shock and disconnect within 300mS which could save someone's life, except the inverter will continue to supply power into that person for up to 5 seconds, ensuring that they are well and truly dead.

Reply to Pv on rcd in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net