Discuss PV/RCD problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spherenergy

Hello,
This one is a real head scratcher and I would appreciate any help.

We have installed a 4kw PV system in a field. We ran a 10mm 3 core SWA from the inverter in the field down to a DB in an outbuilding. The outbuilding DB is a 10 way Wylex with a 100 amp main switch. The cable supplying this DB is protected by an 80amp 30 milli amp double pole RCD located in the main building.

The outbuilding DB supplies lighting, sockets, outside lights, swimming pool pump, swimming pool heater, garage and garden lights. As well as our new PV installation. Before we started everything was working ok and the RCD was holding in.

The PV system has been tested and commissioned.

With all of the other breakers in the outbuilding DB off the PV array works fine and feeds back thought the double pole RCD in the house with out any problems.
If the lights, sockets and garden lights are on as well as the PV it all works fine.
If all the breakers are on with the PV generating after a minute or two the RCD trips.
With all the breakers on but with the PV not generating (at night) everything is fine.
As soon as the PV starts generating with all the breakers on the RCD trips.
Everything on and PV off everything is fine.
It's only when the garage, swimming pool pump or swimming pool heater are turned on and the PV is generating does the RCD trip.

I understand that a buildup of multiple earth to neutral faults over a few circuits will eventually hit the 30 milli amp limit but surely a neutral to earth fault would be present with the breakers on or off? So why is it only when the PV is generating and the garage, swimming pool heater and swimming pool pump are on does the RCD trip off????

The only thing I can think of doing is replacing the RCD with a new one but this method rarely works as new RCDs are normally more sensitive.

There is no room in the board to fit RCBOs.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Regards
Tom

Hi Tom, Check to see if the RCD is D.C. sensitive - however the more likely cause is earth leakage from having so much on one RCD, you need to have local multi RCD protection in the outbuilding to prevent this. Often you will test a circuit and it is clear but when you turn on an electronic load it generates a natural earth leakage, even heating controls etc. The best way to see whats going on is to use a low reading (mA) clamp meter round both the phase and neutral. This will show you what the RCD is seeing. Try this with different loads on and off to see if the is one thing that is causing a real problem.

Bruce- we installed an SMA sunny boy 4000TL

QS- Thanks, that makes sense. I'll try the clip on meter tomorrow. This doesn't explain why the RCD holds in at night when all breakers are on but the PV isn't generating?

When reading, take note of cable size and max length and RCD protection. With the field mount, is the array frame adequately earthed?

Morgan- I don't see how the problem can be anything to do with the inverter alone as the PV system generates and feeds back through the RCD without any problem if the other breakers are off. I think as QS said it is an earth leakage fault.

Did you carry out an rcd test out to confirm rcd is ok? that does sound like a head bake! the only thing i can think of is installing an earth rod to the outbuilding and not use the earth in the cable! Installing a rcd in the outbuilding as above!

I really do recommend reading the installation manual that conveniently comes with the inverter in the box.

Sparky198421- the RCD seems to be working fine when tested.

Graeme Harrold- the cable length is 85m, 10mm 3 core. The ground mounted system is bonded to the supply cable.

Morgan- I have read the installation manual numerous times, is there something that im missing???

5.3 Connection to the Power Distribution Grid (AC)
5.3.1 Conditions for the AC Connection
• Comply with the connection requirements of your utility operator.
Residual current protective device
The inverter is equipped with an integrated all-pole sensitive failure current monitoring unit. The
inverter can automatically distinguish between real fault currents and "normal" capacitive leakage
currents.
If an external RCD or residual current breaker is strictly required, you must use a switch that triggers
at a failure current of 100 mA or higher.
Cable sizing
The grid impedance of the AC cable must not exceed 1 ohm. Otherwise, the inverter will disconnect
at full feed capacity due to excessive voltage at the feed-in point.
The conductor cross-section should be dimensioned such that cable losses do not exceed 1 % at
nominal power. Use "Sunny Design" (SUNNY DESIGN. SMA Solar Technology AG) for this.
The maximum cable lengths relative to the conductor cross-section are shown in the following table.
The conductor cross-section required in individual cases depends on the following factors, among
others:
• Ambient temperature,
• Routing method,
• Cable losses,
• Valid installation requirements of the respective country (installation location).

Page 26 http://files.sma.de/dl/5692/SB30TL_40TL_50TL-IEN103630.pdf

Your max run on a 10mm cable is 38.8m

MorganPVI obviously quicker at typing than me!

Why change the Db for a split load, most installers will fit a one way cu just for the Pv

You may want also to consider your voltage drop on a 10mm cable. The manual says 38.8m max on 10mm and your doubleplus. Even with a 100ma I think you may have the odd trip as your feeding into a very busy and distant CU on a cable that is spec'd for half the distance your streching it over.

Morgan- Normaly we would do but in this job there is no room as the ecxisting board is in a small cupboard. I'll replace the main RCD for a 100 amp double pole main switch and put a small split load DB in the outbuilding. Hopefully this will solve the problem? Still not sure why the PV works with the other breakers off?
Thanks Morgan

Sorry I posted that before I read your most recent post. I'm planning on not having any RCD protection on the PV. Half the split load for the RCD essentials the other half for the PV, garage DB and swimming pool supplies.

Sorry I posted that before I read your most recent post. I'm planning on not having any RCD protection on the PV. Half the split load for the RCD essentials the other half for the PV, garage DB and swimming pool supplies.

I would have thought the garage and pool would have to remain RCD protected!.
One thing to bear in mind is that by connecting the inverter to currently protected circuits effectively makes them unprotected as the inverter has up to 5sec disconnection time.
From what you said, originally everything was protected by an overall 30ma RCD in the main building and i would suggest you keep it that way. I think you really need to find a way to run the PV through a small 2way CU with a 100ma RCD and connect that into the tails feeding the existing overall 30ma RCD. If you can't easily get new cabling through to the main building then could you change the main RCD for a 2 pole switch and move the 30ma RCD into the existing CU so that remains fully protected as it was originally. Put a henley on the supply to the existing CU in the outbuilding and connect in the PV via the new 100ma RCD CU into the henley.

Last edited:

Reply to PV/RCD problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock