Discuss PVC cable and sand and cement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon
I might be taking over a job where the previous sparks is not avaliable to finish off 1st fix when the builder needs it...usual rubbish

He had 1st fixed the ground floor- but chased into the block work and clipped cables- no capping or oval- although it is chased in below the surface now (likely not to get damaged by the plasterer) but will it be ok with the sand and cement on top of it?

I know pvc is fine with plaster on it- but not too sure with s+c?

cheers

yes it's fine, the one you have to watch out for is polystyrene (insulation board or beads) also known as EPS or XPS as it pulls the plasticiser from the cable.
PU/PIR foam/boards are fine though.

When electricity was first discovered and utilised as a power source.people looked at ways to hide the cables that transported those feeble electrons, so they buried the wires under the mortar ;)

In those days (before silent films)the mortar was made with a brew that included Lime,it is a corrosive substance :eek:
It has such a appetite for almost anything that even human bones are seen off by the insatiable appetite

These days the builders of houses and the spreads that cover the walls.they use concoctions which do not include the dreaded Lime :)

In a nutshell,bury your wires in as much sand and cement as you wish,look at them decades later and the chances are it will be unaffected

Just the other day I dug out some 6242y from cement render. Not a mark of corrosion there. Probably been there fifteen years. Never seen corroded sheath either in the odd times I have pulled out T&E from cement render. It does say on Doncaster cables they can be embedded but not what in. Also the cable is for dry and damp conditions but not for burying.

Reply to PVC cable and sand and cement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net