Discuss Pylon advice please - wooden pylon voltage advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

The interpretation of the dubious scare-science has already been nicely covered; my tuppeny-worth advice is that if you are worried about the pylons then so might others be come the day you might want to sell up which would detract from the perceived value of your property, making it harder to sell or sell for less than its truer value. Before you buy it you have a choice so consider the investment risk carefully before deciding to buy it and factor it in.

If you cannot see yourself ever stopping worrying about the pylons then Westward 10 (at #12) is spot in my view. And, since you declare finding it difficult to understand the sciences then you may not be readily convinced by scientific arguments about the safety of being in proximity to them and remain a sceptic.

My mother-in-law is such a sceptic and is convinced they (alternating electro-magnetic fields) cause harm and I am resigned to the fact nothing anyone or I says will alter her view: she cannot explain how and why they are harmful and is biased in citing reports to support her, believing instead that the electricity industry is colluding to hide something. When I first started going out with my wife, I found that in her mother's home, each appliance and wiring accessory had affixed to it a match-box sized piece of paper with the circuit diagram of 'T' or 'Pi' filter network (see https: LC Low Pass Filter Circuit :: Radio-Electronics.Com - http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/rf-technology-design/rf-filters/simple-lc-lowpass-filter-design.php). I humour her to this day.

Last edited:
Is the research USA based ,as quite a few food additives banned over here that they use due to cost advantage , fast developing young vulnerable in many ways .
Plenty of fresh air looks like a bonus ! (No transformer could be a bonus)

I personally wouldn't be worried about it, 18 meters is a reasonable distance.

Power lines and more recently cell phone towers are hot topics with the conspiracy theorists who've flooded the internet with their psudo-science but by far the majority of real, peer reviewed scientific evidence from studies that have been done over many decades shows no link between power line proximity and incidences of cancer.

...so I've been worried sick about it.
Do you use a mobile phone? The field strength, at your skin, of a mobile phone held to your ear may well be more than anything else you're likely to be exposed to. I take part in a long term study into the effects of mobile use on health. I've agreed that they can get my phone use data from the network operator and I get contacted every few years to answer a few simple questions about the way that I use the phone and my current health.

Certainly no kite flying in your back yard!
Good advice from all the members.
You've probably already got the answer in your head.
All that outside air and running in the fields, growing your own veg and planting some fruit trees - if there is a bus stop outside, job done!
All the best with your decision.

Please take great care when researching this. There is a lot of pseudoscience and sensationalist reporting on this subject, especially online, but few relevant scientific studies that are likely to reflect your situation. It is a sad fact that the loudest voices are often charlatans, claiming this or that about electromagnetic fields and misquoting or quoting valid information out of context, in order to scare people into buying their supposed solutions for the claimed harmful effects of EMFs. I once did a review (many years ago!) of material available to the lay reader on this subject and found that demonstrably misinformational articles outnumbered potentially valid ones by about 15 to 1.

If you have concerns, by all means investigate peer-reviewed academic studies, there are both lab and epidemiological studies, but be aware that small differences in parameters such as distance from the line can change a significant finding into an insignificant one, etc.
Please could you tell me which peer reviewed academic studies I can read? It seems to be 11kv according to the national grid advisor I spoke with today who was very helpful. I'm keen to read from reliable sources and appreciate much of what is reported is not evidence based

The problems you're going to have in diving into academic studies are firstly they're nearly all locked behind paywalls and not readily available for general consumption. Secondly they're written in such a way that they're not going to may much sense to anyone that's not at graduate level in that particular field.

I've attached a quasi-experimental field study to give you some idea whgat you're up against. If you really want to persue raw study material then I'd suggest you start trawling sites like LibGen.io and Sci-Hub or even booksee.org, booksc.org and bookzz.org but you'll probably need a VPN (VPN is safer than a mirror or proxy) because I think ISP's in the UK have these sites blacklisted and blocked due to copyright violations.

Attachments

• A Typology of Residents’ Health Response.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 8
I worked in very close proximity to mobile phone antennas on a regular basis and receive training in EMF and non-ionising radiation and its effects.

A lot of the information on the web is made out of historic scepticism and lack of knowledge on the effects to the human body.

A recent study carried out by an independent research agency in Europe has shown there are no long term effects from EMF and non-ionising radiation.

You may get immediate effects such as heating of the skin and flu like symptoms but you would have to be very close to the source, so close the electricity would have cooked you anyway.

We use radiation monitors that barely flicker when passed in front of high power microwave links yet and old vacuum cleaner makes the thing go mental.

You are actually at greater risk from your microwave oven and Wifi router.

I appreciate you want to give your kids the best start in life, as we all do, but don't let paranoia rule over you.

I worked in very close proximity to mobile phone antennas on a regular basis and receive training in EMF and non-ionising radiation and its effects.

A lot of the information on the web is made out of historic scepticism and lack of knowledge on the effects to the human body.

A recent study carried out by an independent research agency in Europe has shown there are no long term effects from EMF and non-ionising radiation.

You may get immediate effects such as heating of the skin and flu like symptoms but you would have to be very close to the source, so close the electricity would have cooked you anyway.

We use radiation monitors that barely flicker when passed in front of high power microwave links yet and old vacuum cleaner makes the thing go mental.

You are actually at greater risk from your microwave oven and Wifi router.

I appreciate you want to give your kids the best start in life, as we all do, but don't let paranoia rule over you.
Thank you

Thank you for everyone's responses. We had some tests done which was all done free of charge through the national grid and the readings are fine. For anyone that's interested the line is 33kv not 11 as I previously thought. The readings are as low as 0.01 micro teslas at the end of the drive and they say as low as 0 closer whicy I find difficult to understand as I thought that there was always a baseline level over zero anywhere. I'm satisfied with this however and we are continuing with the purchase and putting the issue to bed. From what I've read we are exposed to higher levels watching tv or standing near the fridge

If you Google the Bridgwater map find Parkway and go to street view you will find a road with a wide verge between houses and a transmission line right down through the middle. The one you have is 33Kv but this one is many times higher, however for years there have been reports of residents at certain points along there feeling unwell and other things. It is possible to hold a fluorescent tube under such a line and for it to glow from the radiated emf in certain atmospheric conditions. Yes the official view is it is safe. However, think of an MRI scan, this machine creates a magnetic field to cause your cell structure to aline in a certain way so that an image can be taken. There is a huge magnetic field around HV distribution and logically it must somehow affect the bodies cells. The question not answered anywhere is whether this is serious or of no passing consequence. For that reason I would not buy a house near them. I apologise if that seems too negative.

If you Google the Bridgwater map find Parkway and go to street view you will find a road with a wide verge between houses and a transmission line right down through the middle. The one you have is 33Kv but this one is many times higher, however for years there have been reports of residents at certain points along there feeling unwell and other things. It is possible to hold a fluorescent tube under such a line and for it to glow from the radiated emf in certain atmospheric conditions. Yes the official view is it is safe. However, think of an MRI scan, this machine creates a magnetic field to cause your cell structure to aline in a certain way so that an image can be taken. There is a huge magnetic field around HV distribution and logically it must somehow affect the bodies cells. The question not answered anywhere is whether this is serious or of no passing consequence. For that reason I would not buy a house near them. I apologise if that seems too negative.
Thanks for your comment however we have had the EMF readings carried out and at the edge of the drive they are 0-0.01 micro teslas so this is minute and less than you would expect in a house that was miles from any power lines. I appreciate that there are mixed opinions on this and research is ongoing however because we have had readings done we know the actual risk associated with how close the house is with this line which is basically none, or at least certainly no greater than if a line was no where near

I see where you're coming from and you could be right. Change of events as it transpired that an 11kv cable had been buried in the garden running the entire length of the house about 1 metre from the house. Scottish Power came and took readings in every room in th house and in the garden and to cut a long story short, they were pretty high. Well within government guidelines of course but we took the view that we aren't happy with the levels set as safe by the guidelines when looking at loads of peer reviewed studies and international standards so we have actually withdrawn from the sale. Disappointed but it would always have been at the back of my mind. There were certain areas of the garden I wouldn't have been happy with the kids playing in, even though I accept there are so many mixed findings on the subject. You're supposed to be able to relax in your own home and at the end of the day we decided we might not ever fully forget about this cable. Thanks again for all the input

Reply to Pylon advice please - wooden pylon voltage advice in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net