Discuss Pyro fault finding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparkdog

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got some domestic lighting Pyro with very low insulation reading LN to E 0.07 Megohms.I was thinking of blowing hot air into the termination boxes one at a time while watching the insulation reading.In theory if one varies it might indicate the area of the fault.I have access to the light and switch boxes,but others are under the floor above which is a bit major to lift and all sanded and polished.Anyone else tried this method?(If due to damp of course.)

I would try splitting/disconnecting the circuit into sections first then see where the low tests are coming from might help you trace it easier mate.

Yes,the difficulty is I can't easily split/disconnect due to the main joints being under the floor above.I will try the hot air method and see how it goes.

Sounds like a badly designed and installed system to me. If you can't get to the JB's then you're pretty much buggered for doing anything!! Even if you can isolate a section that is causing a problem!!

Yes, heat will locate the problem, usually the resistance will fall when you get close to it. You don't need much heat. A soldering iron or lighter flame on a leaky pot will get a response almost immediately. Another possibility is that the cable has been damaged somewhere other than a termination, which you will only tend to discover once you have ruled out the terminations.

As I understand it you can access the joints but with difficulty and cost, so you want to try to narrow it down using only the accessible ends of the cables while they are all interconnected. I had a similar situation where I managed to localise the fault to one box, by resistance heating the cables. Using a low voltage high current transformer I pumped two or three times rated current through the Pyro from each tap-off to the next, while meggering the complete run. By identifying the combination of conductors that triggered a change in insulation when heated, we ended up with only one box under suspicion, which once exposed, revealed a badly made seal where the disc had never seated properly in the pot.

More recently I had an experience with a lighting installation that had so many bad seals that any attempt to localise faults failed miserably, and we had to rewire it completely.

Last edited:
Must be bad terminations, access to the joint's is a must, could be damp in the jb's, as for the terminations, of the pot etc, if done correct they will last a life time.

Reply to Pyro fault finding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net