Discuss Pyro meter tails, can they stay or need replacing? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

glenn

-
Reaction score
hi all , im having a new consumer unit fitted ,but my meter tails are in pyro its a 1970's 2 bed terraced house.. im just waiting for my electrician to confirm if he can re use the pyro tails or they have to be replaced with something more modern.
can anyone confirm yes or no have they got to go? the electrician tested them and said they are perfect .
thanks glenn

If they've tested fine them leave them as they are.

hi dave thanks for replying, the pyro is i think 10mm is this ok , the main fuse is 60 amp. its obviously been in since the house was built ,i dont need anything upgrading and no need for any extras electric wise.
thanks

There's no need to replace them just because they are pyro.

If they've tested fine them leave them as they are.

Learning opportunity question coming up...

As I have no experience of pyro, is there anything that should be considered if you have to move it? For example, if the both ends are properly terminated but the one doesn't quite fit a knockout in a new enclosure? How far is it safe to tweak it before you have to be concerned about possible damage/internal faults?

Likewise, if it's a major change of position?

The cable itself has the cores insulated with compacted magnesium powder,they will take one mighty hammer blow to even damage that insulation
If you bend the cable,do so with a sweep rather than try and do an instant 90 degrees (which will probably collapse the outer copper sheath),there is a tool for making the bends but using a bit of rounded wood will do
The pots on the end are star crimped with a soft compound insulation,they do not like being disturbed,so any movement needed should be elsewhere other than the pot

It is possible to remove the gland and pot and re use if you take care,however,the potting compound would need renewing,so best have some handy if you are ever going to dismantle,without the correct tools it would be difficult for a newbie to terminate,however,the stripping,potting and crimping can be done with hand tools if needs be

What Des says!!!

I would IR it afterwards just to be certain the potting compound hasn't moved etc.

its just a straight swap on the consumer unit, hes happy to refit the pyro if its all ok to do so ..like i said it tested perfect, no moving involved .i just need to know if it can stay on the pyro be legal, meet all the regs needed and get certified?

glenn
Pyro is in many ways a superior cable to what is now used in many applications
If it tested fine and is adequate for your current demand,then leave it and have confidence that its reputation over many years is not overstated

Pyro complies with British standards so is fine to use. TBH if your house burnt down the Pyro would still be there and working as intended.

It used to be in common use, I worked on a load of 50's built council flats in Cambridge a few years ago and it was all in good condition. A bit of brasso polished it up lovely...

(please note, don't polish it...)

its just a straight swap on the consumer unit, hes happy to refit the pyro if its all ok to do so ..like i said it tested perfect, no moving involved .i just need to know if it can stay on the pyro be legal, meet all the regs needed and get certified?

It's probably fine, but I couldn't say for certain without actually seeing the job.

It's up to the electrician doing the job to make the decision

i think hes waiting for a reply from napit?

Learning opportunity question coming up...

As I have no experience of pyro, is there anything that should be considered if you have to move it? For example, if the both ends are properly terminated but the one doesn't quite fit a knockout in a new enclosure? How far is it safe to tweak it before you have to be concerned about possible damage/internal faults?

Likewise, if it's a major change of position?

If it's got a sharp bend in it then it'll probably split if you try to re-work it.

It's pretty bomb proof and can usually be moved without issue, though a bit of experience helps a lot to know how far is too far as work hardening can cause it to split.

Also it can be annealed with a blow torch if necessary.

The cable itself has the cores insulated with compacted magnesium powder,they will take one mighty hammer blow to even damage that insulation
Much better information than I could provide, but I did feel that it should be noted that it is magnesium oxide powder and not magnesium metal powder as the filler.:)

yeh im thinking that , but its a bit of a pig to do, the meter and box is sat on the out side wall ,which has just had external wall insulation fitted and cant be carved into with out making a mess of it .. and the only other way is back into the living room and through a wall to where the c/u is situated..

yeh im thinking that , but its a bit of a pig to do, the meter and box is sat on the out side wall ,which has just had external wall insulation fitted and cant be carved into with out making a mess of it .. and the only other way is back into the living room and through a wall to where the c/u is situated..

If you bend the cable,do so with a sweep rather than try and do an instant 90 degrees (which will probably collapse the outer copper sheath),there is a tool for making the bends but using a bit of rounded wood will do
The pots on the end are star crimped with a soft compound insulation,they do not like being disturbed,so any movement needed should be elsewhere other than the pot

It is possible to remove the gland and pot and re use if you take care,however,the potting compound would need renewing,so best have some handy if you are ever going to dismantle,without the correct tools it would be difficult for a newbie to terminate,however,the stripping,potting and crimping can be done with hand tools if needs be

I asked at college how durable it was, and at the time we had a legend of a guy (Pete Brooks RIP) at HCUK doing practical training.

Me - So Pete, how durable is this Pryor stuff.
Pete - Hmm, very. Watch this!

He proceeded to connect an Supply on one end and a lamp the other draped over an small anvil. He then proceeded to batter the ---- out of it until it looked like a 2 pence peace....bang. The RCD went.

Me - Coooool!

Boring little story but one of my many memories as an apprentice.

What's boring about watching someone hit 10 bales out of energised pyro - dude you need to stay IN more!
I asked at college how durable it was, and at the time we had a legend of a guy (Pete Brooks RIP) at HCUK doing practical training.

Me - So Pete, how durable is this Pryor stuff.
Pete - Hmm, very. Watch this!

He proceeded to connect an Supply on one end and a lamp the other draped over an small anvil. He then proceeded to batter the **** out of it until it looked like a 2 pence peace....bang. The RCD went.

Me - Coooool!

Boring little story but one of my many memories as an apprentice.

Reply to Pyro meter tails, can they stay or need replacing? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock