Discuss Q replace cable= update board? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

patricklondon

evening gents
if i fix one damaged part of a ring main with a like for like replacement which is RCD protected, the consumer unit is 16th ed compliant so one RCCB for this, another ring on same floor and to a garden office.

Question: is the repair in itself ok or is their enough here to demand a new 17th compliant board ie min of split load dual rcd

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ring is RCD protected I wouldn't be putting an RCCB on it.

As far as I am aware you can't actually demand that a board be changed, you can advise the customer and note it on the cert!

Hope this helps! :D

sure im not going to demand a board change. there is a main switch, an RCCB with the three circuits mentioned coming of it and three others that are not rcd protected. question put another way then is do i need to advise the resident that for the repairs to be compliant the consumer unit needs to be updated too

Hi

As it's a repair then I'd say no. All you can do is advise the customer. I'd also advise the customer to put all the circuits on their own RCBO, if they did not want the board changed that is.

I get ya. Sorry 2 be dumb but whats the difference between and rccb and an rcbo then? I kinda thought an rcbo was an mcb with a sort of "built in" rcd.

I think it goes a little further than that. I seem to remember that an RCCB combines the features of an MCB and an RCD, just like and RCBO, but is double pole like an RCD, and like and RCD does not require an earth.

I seem to have lost the thread! I believe that a repiared circuit only needs to comply with the regs to which it was installed. Extended circuits and new circuits need to comply with current regs. Why do I think that? I'm not sure.

I think it goes a little further than that. I seem to remember that an RCCB combines the features of an MCB and an RCD, just like and RCBO, but is double pole like an RCD, and like and RCD does not require an earth.

I seem to have lost the thread! I believe that a repiared circuit only needs to comply with the regs to which it was installed. Extended circuits and new circuits need to comply with current regs. Why do I think that? I'm not sure.
He only repaired the circuit as said in the 1st post.He just wanted to know the difference between RCDs,MCBs,RCCBs and RCBOs.

Reply to Q replace cable= update board? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net