Discuss Qualified C&G 236 Parts 1&2 in 2003, updated to 17th from 16 Edition in 2009 - But not JIB eligible in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KWJ41

-
Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and in desperate need of advice.
I'm a fully qualified electrician qualified under C&G 236 in 2003 (parts 1&2), I updated to 17th from 16th edition in 2009 and hold an up to date safety passport through the ECS.

I've recently gone on my own after being employed for 14 years and went to apply for a JIB card only to be told that I don't hold the correct qualifications. To add insult to injury my 14 years post qualified experience means nothing either. This means that I can only get an "Improvers" ECS card rather than a Gold one, this has huge implications to the sites I'm allowed to work on.

Can anyone tell me if this is right? And if it is, what can I do to rectify the situation quickly and cheaply?

Thanks in advance

I might not agree with this but this is how it is. . .

The qualifications you hold are the theory side of things. You have to complete a portfolio to demonstrate everything you've learned in a real life setting. This is done through the NVQ Level 3. Then once you've completed that you'll have to go and spend 2/3 days doing the AM2.

Once you've completed all that, only then can you call yourself fully qualified. But tbh but the time you've done all that the 18th edition will be out so you'll need to do that to call yourself fully qualified.

But then some people don't consider you fully qualified until you've done the inspection and testing.

It's an uphill struggle but they keep telling us it's all worth it in the end :(

The qualifications you hold are the theory side of things. You have to complete a portfolio to demonstrate everything you've learned in a real life setting. This is done through the NVQ Level 3. Then once you've completed that you'll have to go and spend 2/3 days doing the AM2.

Once you've completed all that, only then can you call yourself fully qualified. But tbh but the time you've done all that the 18th edition will be out so you'll need to do that to call yourself fully qualified.

But then some people don't consider you fully qualified until you've done the inspection and testing.

It's an uphill struggle but they keep telling us it's all worth it in the end :(

Thanks for the info....I think! What a nightmare....how ridiculous that I need an NVQ level 3 to show I have practical experience, when I’ve worked at all levels for over 16 years!

Thanks for the info....I think! What a nightmare....how ridiculous that I need an NVQ level 3 to show I have practical experience, when I’ve worked at all levels for over 16 years!

I know, the whole industry is backwards.
Once you get on site you'll see most people only have a white ECS card anyway. I almost get embarrassed flashing my gold card because everyone immediately thinks you're a super sparks. . Not the case sadly :oops:

I can't be fully qualified as not done AM2 :mad:

Reply to Qualified C&G 236 Parts 1&2 in 2003, updated to 17th from 16 Edition in 2009 - But not JIB eligible in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock