Discuss Qualified for own work??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

burtysoft

I am currently self employed (my own business - i fix computers, install home networks etc) and have my own customer base, but i am retraining as an electrician. I have just completed C&G 2330 level2 and will be doing Level 3 from September.

A few of my customers have mentioned electrical jobs which need doing (extra sockets or lights, power to a shed etc - little jobs). I am just wondering if I am qualified, in the eyes of the law, to carry out these small tasks. I know that part p qualifications allow certain types of job to be carried out, but don't know how that works with C&G 2330.

All advice appreciated.

Any work that falls under the scope of Part P of the building regs in england and wales will require notification to building control,if you are competent to design/install and test/produce a certificate then legally you can do so,if you are not signed up to a self certification scheme such as niceic/elecsa/napit etc then building control will charge £££s to inspect your work.

Are you competant with all elements of the work involved.

I have looked at this website Building Regulations - Part P FAQs - IET Electrical which tells me what work is certifiable or not. I have no intention of doing work beyond this scope at the moment.

I currently have public liability but would need to inform my insurance company that i am carrying out electrical work.

To be honest, given a choice, I would prefer to go down to employed route (electricians mate - just applied for my ECS card) as ive been self employed for 9 years and its bloody tough going. but all jobs seem to be asking for some sort of experience. I have phoned round all local sparks for work /work experience but with no luck. This seems to be the only way of get any experience.

I am a decent diy-er, got my head screwed on, and appreciate the risks involved with electric. I agree that i am now where near to being an Electrician but just want to start somewhere.

I currently have public liability but would need to inform my insurance company that i am carrying out electrical work.

To be honest, given a choice, I would prefer to go down to employed route (electricians mate - just applied for my ECS card) as ive been self employed for 9 years and its bloody tough going. but all jobs seem to be asking for some sort of experience. I have phoned round all local sparks for work /work experience but with no luck. This seems to be the only way of get any experience.

I am a decent diy-er, got my head screwed on, and appreciate the risks involved with electric. I agree that i am now where near to being an Electrician but just want to start somewhere.

Is that what you would tell the judge :)

but competence and paper quals. are not necessarily the same thing.

I appreiciate the dangers involved. Which is why i would treat every job with the utmost respect. I would refer to the onsite guide and the regs book as well as the building regs (electrical safety in dwellings) to ensure all jobs are carried out in the correct manner

Reply to Qualified for own work??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net