Discuss Quality new build workmanship in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NDG Elecs

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Saw this last week on a new build that is approx 18 months old. I suppose it doesn't matter that it's a new build as could happen anywhere at any time. But it did make me think is every single house on the estate with a garage supply done in the same way....bodgey bodge and the bodge-sters!

The other end of the SWA in the garage is equally as rough. And it's plain to see that it is incorrect at that end which should have been picked up on in my view.

Not spoke to the owner yet as they have been away on holiday.

IMG_20170925_113038.jpg

I could accept the terminal block so long as it is rated for the load but the SWA just makes me annoyed, if you are not going to use the armour why use an armoured cable? If you need to use armoured cable then earth the armour!
Is that exposed copper on the (apparently unsleeved) black core 20mm from the terminal block. Where does the earth go?

They probably didn't have big enough sleeving to go over the black insulation so they trimmed 35mm or so of the insulation off and put a bit of g/y sleeving on the last part! The other bit of earth I'm not sure about, only had a quick look, and TBH I am peeved with myself I didn't check it properly. I am thinking there are 2-3 strands of the armour now in that sleeving!! It stinks to me of under qualified staff being sent out to do a job. And no proper inspection nor testing was carried out as it would/should have picked this up. As I say, the garage end of the armour has not even been taken into the insulated CU. It is at eye level, staring at you, saying bodge!!

Just a guess here but I wonder if the 6mm twin feeding the swa is protected by a 32 amp mcb?
The swa looks like 2.5mm?
Just I've known lads do it because they look at the incorrect ccc tables and rate the 2.5 swa as 90 degrees operating temperature rather than the 70 degrees tables.

Back box not even earthed either!!

Saw this last week on a new build that is approx 18 months old. I suppose it doesn't matter that it's a new build as could happen anywhere at any time. But it did make me think is every single house on the estate with a garage supply done in the same way....bodgey bodge and the bodge-sters!

The other end of the SWA in the garage is equally as rough. And it's plain to see that it is incorrect at that end which should have been picked up on in my view.

Not spoke to the owner yet as they have been away on holiday.

View attachment 38562
I worked on a new build once where we had to run SWA from the service to about 5 bollards, 5 Electricians, I was the only one, me could terminate the SWA, and most of the others were older than me, hard to visualise someone older than me, it was in the 70s though.

I have never thought the word "Quality" and the words "New build" ever belong in the same sentence. I cannot remember how many times the thought "Note to self: Never ever buy a new build" It is not just the electrics but one screw per hinge on the doors, no primary seal around shower trays, plaster board around baths and showers and cheap thin fast grown pine for joists etc. In Sadly broke (Bradley Stoke, infamous new build) in Bristol a wall was out by a few inches the builders got together and pushed it back in!

I have never thought the word "Quality" and the words "New build" ever belong in the same sentence. I cannot remember how many times the thought "Note to self: Never ever buy a new build" It is not just the electrics but one screw per hinge on the doors, no primary seal around shower trays, plaster board around baths and showers and cheap thin fast grown pine for joists etc. In Sadly broke (Bradley Stoke, infamous new build) in Bristol a wall was out by a few inches the builders got together and pushed it back in!
Proper job then Vorti

I could accept the terminal block so long as it is rated for the load but the SWA just makes me annoyed, if you are not going to use the armour why use an armoured cable? If you need to use armoured cable then earth the armour!
Is that exposed copper on the (apparently unsleeved) black core 20mm from the terminal block. Where does the earth go?
Also the backbox is unearthed.

all went wrong with the invention/introduction of dot & dab and roof trusses. whoever heard of a roof with a hernia?
And of course people without any trade thinking they can do anything, some site I worked on way back had 1 electrician and most of the mundane work being done by unskilled labour after a few months of house bashing they became Electricians.

Reply to Quality new build workmanship in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net