Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Quality work by a 4WW..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. -Matt

-Matt Regular EF Member

I thought you guys may be interested in these pics from a "spark" who did one of these 4 week courses and went straight to self employed!

This was for a house Re-wire, I actually quoted for this job originally but the house owner chose this contractor instead, but then contacted me afterwards to take a look as they were concerned by the work completed. :rolleyes:

When I walked in and saw the work, I was truly shocked, it was truly dangerous!
    I contacted the Niceic for the homeowner who have now completely Re-wired the house with another contractor under the platinum guarantee.
    Original "Spark" is no longer registered, so its good to see the Niceic do take action!

This was apparently a finished job which she has been paid in full for :eek:

Anyway have fun with these :D:

C/U was moved, so quite rightly a switch fuse was installed, not so sure on the insulation methods mind:
    IMG_5047.JPG

Urm...., oh and thats data going behind the C/U there...
    IMG_1572.JPG

Wet pants is always wrapping his pipes around my cables, I know I will wrap my spaghetti around his pipes..
    IMG_0584.JPG

Meter tails and more chased horizontally through wall, not in a safe zone..
    IMG_0813.JPG

Now what is that bare wire for, lets poke it back out of the box...
    IMG_0360.JPG

Expanding foam doesn't seem to be working at fixing the boxes..., oh and that damn bare wire again! and no grommet! o_O
    IMG_2704.JPG

Well the expanding foam wasn't working, lets just leave them hanging...
    IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

Its all too much work chopping the boxes into the wall..
    IMG_9909.JPG

Wago boxes are over-rated...
    IMG_2299.JPG

This surely has to be up there with the worst?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 5
    • Old Old x 1
  2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    I have no words, well I do really but I enjoy this forum any comment would get me an immediate ban I shouldn't wonder, awful just awful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They are having to take action now because it costs them money not to do so with the platinum guarantee, which tbh is the first I have heard about it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. JK-Electrical

JK-Electrical Electrician's Arms

That is truly shocking and is as bad as any other rogue install that I've seen. If ever there was a vivid example of why these short courses should be outlawed, then this it. There is no quick route to becoming a qualified electrician.

NICEIC ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. IMHO they are equally culpable for facilitating cowboy operators easy access to our industry. Disgraceful.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    It could be DW that the NICEIC are finally realising what is actually happening out in the real world, so far removed from what they think is happening, I for one hope that many more of these supposed Electricians get outed and struck off the CS Schemes register, someone has to be first, wonder who it will be?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    WOW!
    No wonder they kicked him out the scheme, that is atrocious! quite how anybody can justify such damn poor work is beyond me!
    Its as if no effort was put in at all and simply didn't care, pure and simple cowboy fleecing people.
    Worrying thing is, he may have been ejected from Certsure but has he ended up at stroma or napit? might even still be doing rewires and works issuing generic certs and not notifying them.
    Personally i would encourage the customer to get building control involved and trading standards, given the NICEIC have had to fork out under the warranty to put right they would happily support taking action against this rogue.
    A rewire if planned well and time taken is not a hugely difficult task, its time consuming and messy and i think that is where people come unstuck, they under estimate the work involved and just want easy money. if that's the case stick to the quick simple jobs changing fittings and sockets at £50 a pop.
    I tend to stay away from rewires, simply because physically my body doesn't appreciate too much physical effort these days, have too many old injuries and issues. I also feel the perfectionist in me means I tend to go a bit slower than I used to. so wont rush it and nor will I enter the price war in the race to the bottom. Also in time it takes to do one, I can earn more for much less effort!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

The bad install can be replaced, I would be a little bit more concerned about the damage caused to the structure of the property, in those switch drops etc?

8. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Whoever did his initial assesment should be questioned. That is truely awful.

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

@-Matt@-Matt has the owner thought about contacting the local rag/media about this thing. Might be an interesting story for them?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. rompling

rompling Regular EF Member

Proper bad install, your right one of the worst
    But funny how the customer always comes back to the more expensive electrician to rectify - have had it myself - maybe there is a reason it costs more and the customer need to start getting this
    This one and the one in Glasgow this week that I saw posted - makes me concerned for the future

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. gazdkw82

gazdkw82 Trainee Trainee Access

These courses are putting people's lives at risk. You CANNOT! Be an independent, competent electrician in just a few weeks! No matter how good the training or how clever you are!

I wouldn't let buzz aldren wire my house after a 5week course. No matter how good his results and how many John ward videos he watched.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. happyhippydad

happyhippydad Member Electrician's Arms

How do you know it was someone who had done one of the Domestic Installer courses Matt?

This next bit isn't aimed at all towards you Matt, just in general....

I realise the above install is appalling but it would be nice if there was a bit of a balance between showing good work and bad work. I wonder why people like having a go at others so much, it's like the Jeremy Kyle of electrics sometimes!

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

Not disputing the workmanship at all as its atrocious but was it defiantly a 4ww who done this work, I know they can become easy targets.

I just cant imagine someone turning up to a re-wire a house and admitting they have 4 weeks of training and 3 of them was in the classroom.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

ALL the schemes need to introduce un announced site visits, on work in progress and completed notified works .....

Unless this happens, nothing will change

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  15. ChrisElectrical88

ChrisElectrical88 Forum Mentor

Agree Murdoch, with a guarenteed random 5 visits over 12 months. Only need to be 20 minutes in most cases. The inspector could knock out 10 a day.

• Like Like x 1