Discuss Quality work by a electrical trainee..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Today on site, I bought in a couple of 12hp pumps, motors wired in star. They spun in reverse when I hooked them up to the generator fed supply, despite my knowing the configuration was correct and already tested in my workshop.

3 windings and a star point. With the phase rotation you had, configuration was incorrect for the rotor direction you wanted. A motor spinning the other way to what you want is still technically correct electrically......just not the way you wanted it :). What he did Switching any 2 phases was the right thing to do.

So I conclude that the real problem is the selling of the courses, making it seem as if anyone that fancies a pay rise can have one in just a few weeks. In reality you either are right for a line of work or you are not.

Don't write yourself off to forever be unqualified, if you have the knowledge then get the quals anyway :)

How do you know it was someone who had done one of the Domestic Installer courses Matt?

This next bit isn't aimed at all towards you Matt, just in general....

I realise the above install is appalling but it would be nice if there was a bit of a balance between showing good work and bad work. I wonder why people like having a go at others so much, it's like the Jeremy Kyle of electrics sometimes!
Because honestly good work isn’t so entertaining

3 windings and a star point. With the phase rotation you had, configuration was incorrect for the rotor direction you wanted. A motor spinning the other way to what you want is still technically correct electrically......just not the way you wanted it :). What he did Switching any 2 phases was the right thing to do.
Nope. I later checked another pump of mine on the same generator spinning correctly. The other two in reverse. All three spun correctly on the same feed at my workshop. There was a cable swapping the phases somewhere.

And really, the point was that I invited him over as I wasn't a spark, and he left me to modify the wiring of a 3ph pump!

A 3 phase motor is still a perfectly balanced load no matter what the direction, hence no neutral required.
Yes but you're need to ensure phase conformity across the entire installation to have any hope of balancing overall. On this job there is no hope or control, so it's not really an issue anyway.

Yes but you're need to ensure phase conformity across the entire installation to have any hope of balancing overall. On this job there is no hope or control, so it's not really an issue anyway.

Not sure what you mean there?

The 3Ph motor is a balanced load, it cannot affect the phase balance of the install at all.

Don't write yourself off to forever be unqualified, if you have the knowledge then get the quals anyway :)
I dont need to be. I always have a spark to hand in the field and nothing leaves my workshop without a consultation at the start of a design and a test at the end.

I'm also mindful of the fact that qualification would be pointless for me, as I don't do the work on a day to day basis, i would never be able to keep up with regulation the way you guys do. I'm perfectly happy to pay for the time of a good, bang up to date spark. I just checked on our accounts software what i spent on professional services last year - it turns out you all owe me a beer..

Not sure what you mean there?

The 3Ph motor is a balanced load, it cannot affect the phase balance of the install at all.

I know. But the different rotation between motors fed from a single source shows that that along at least one cable/distro the phases were swapped. In theory phase continuity should be maintained from the power source, so that all equipment (not just my pumps) can be out on the phase that will equal the best balance overall. The fact one load is by nature perfectly balanced makes no difference to all the 1ph stuff they will connect to each line.

You can’t ALWAYS blame these type of poor installs on the short course electricians, but as a usual you do as it’s so easy todo so. Fully trained, time served electricians have also done some of these atrocious installs as well over the years, as can be seen on YouTube and other forums and even this forum too. As of yet there’s NO proof this install was done by a short course electrician or a time served one either.

I’m proud to say that I took the Tradeskills4U route and completed their Bronze Electricians course which is actually 3 & half weeks in total (18 days), does this make me an electrician, NO, but on paper and based on the C&G’s exams I took (which nearly EVERY electrician has passed), I’m qualified and classed as a competent person to carry out domestic electrical work, but I am on a very, very long journey of gaining experience, which is never ever ending, even for the ‘time served’ electricians out there.
You realise though that you are on a long journey and for that you should be proud of your ethical and moral standards as it truly is the best way to make the best of yourself with the route into the Industry you have chosen and I bet you wouldn’t dream of leaving an install in anywhere near as bad nick as that. The reason why so many so called “3 week wonders” get slated is because so many cowboys take that route and see it as a path to do whatever the h**l they like and get away with fleecing people. It is very true that their are traditionally trained fully qualified electricians that certainly do not deserve the title as well. But I am willing to bet that the number of cowboy 3 week wonders far exceeds the number of cowboy traditionally trained sparks just because of how most apprentices are effectively ridiculed (I know I certainly was) to ensure the mistakes are learned from and lifelong lessons are ingrained, how ethically devoid certain training centres are and indeed how ethically devoid the aforementioned cowboys are. In every trade, profession and route to trades and professions there are people who are undeserving of the title and as such should be stripped of it and never allowed to be a practicing electrician again, at least not without intensive retraining (both the “3 week wonders” and the traditionally qualified types)
Remember that no matter how qualified, experienced or however much anyone thinks they are there is always room for improvement and room to learn. This forum is gold dust in that sense and it can really open your eyes to things you may have never considered or things you could have done better. Don’t take the criticisms to heart. They aren’t about you. The criticism falls on the hopelessly incompetent people purporting to be electricians. Quite Frankly I don’t give a damn about which route you or anybody else have taken into the industry as long as they understand that a qualification of any type is meaningless without good experience to back it up.

That is what's controls me... I know and understand my limitations and am careful not to push too far outside them in one step.
As is the basis of a “good Electrician” knowing your limitations and your weaknesses allows you to build on them and become better that applies to everyone. Because no one is perfect

I think we are at cross purposes here Deuce......

You stated you bought motors and that they ran in reverse.

If your L1, L2 and L3 ' s are switched within your install then that's another issue but easy enough to resolve.

I think we are at cross purposes here......

You stated you bought motors and that they ran in reverse.

If your L1, L2 and L3 ' s are switched within your install then that's another issue but easy enough to resolve.

Of course, and it was easy to resolve. Swap two phases. My equipment was correctly wired, there was a phase swap somewhere between one set of pumps and another, all fed from one source.

But irrespective of the fact it's easy to resolve, my point was that in theory the spark in charge of the entire installation accross the site should want to explore evidence of phase swapping as "in theory" phase loading over the entire installation should be as close to equal as possible.

We probably have over 200 various bits of kit hooked up so it's a nonsense trying to balance it anyway. But by the books that is correct. What is not correct is asking me to re-wire 2 motors on site without at least testing my work prior to use.

I’m just wondering if there’s any room to connect the flux capacitor and the jiggerboom to the contraptions you and @Deuce are wiring? Might help the motors turn the right way?
Will have to take a rain check on the jiggerboom.....but the Flux capacitor in that Delorean was deffo a balanced load lol......so absolutely.....crack on haha

What is not correct is asking me to re-wire 2 motors on site without at least testing my work prior to use.

Im gonna sound like a ---- taker now. I'm not.

You own the company and you employ a spark right?

Why didn't your spark do it as he was there anyway.

It sounds like you, as the boss, have chosen to do it......and then blamed the spark for letting you do it. Did you ask him to test it after you did it?

If you were confident enough to wire it up, then by definition, you should understand it and then you should be confident enough to test it and run it......otherwise the spark who was there anyway might aswell have done it himself.....

Im gonna sound like a **** taker now. I'm not.

You own the company and you employ a spark right?

Why didn't your spark do it as he was there anyway.

It sounds like you, as the boss, have chosen to do it......and then blamed the spark for letting you do it. Did you ask him to test it after you did it?

If you were confident enough to wire it up, then by definition, you should understand it and then you should be confident enough to test it and run it......otherwise the spark who was there anyway might aswell have done it himself.....

Yes to owning company. I don't employ a spark, they're on all sites I work on to in help deploy temp power and generally keep things safe.

To be honest I think he just didn't care to go hunting for the cable which was had the phases swapped.

I would have pushed the need to test but the pumps will only run for 5 minutes under direct supervision by myself or my business partner before being retired to our stock and fully tested next time they go out, and the fact is only two phases were swapped, there is nothing to test that hadn't already been tested just 2 days ago. The power supply to the pump was tested as it was put in place. If it was a complete re-wire it would be different and a change of location I would push the issue. As it is, I effectively part re-wired a plug and didn't need to touch the already tested earth connection.

Reply to Quality work by a electrical trainee..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock